Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
dyeguy2
AF Newbie

Radio and Temp control problems

I just bought a used 1994 Roadmaster wagon. I programmed the radio for my new stations but when I turn the engine off and restart the programming is gone. Also the temp control seems to be broken. If I set the temp to 60 it blows cold air (it's about 10 degrees outside) but 65 or above and it's way too hot. Do I need to replace both modules or could an electrical problem cause both of these issues?
dyeguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Radio and Temp control problems

Radio usually loses programming one of two ways....one the radio is bad.....two, the keep alive power to the radio is lost...it's similar to disconnecting your battery....when you do that, you lose your programmed stations as it goes back to the default settings....need a schematic of your radio harness to make sure power is getting to the radio when the key is in the "off" position.....

As for Auto temp systems, these have a range of 60 to 90 for the "scale".....people think they are like thermometers in your house....the system does not quite work that way....

If it was a hot summer day, what would you have it set at? Naturally, 60, in "Auto"....and what happens when you do that? You get cold air...

What do you think is going to happen, when you set it on 60 in the winter time?

You are going to get cold air.....especially on startup, since the coolant will be close to ambient temp....

Think of the old systems...you had a slider...in summer, you always had that slider all the way to the left....winter, all the way to the right.....

Can't do that on automatic systems, with the "AUTO" button push....."60", in "auto", is an override for full cold.....your blower will be on high speed trying to maintain full cold..."90", in "auto", is an override for full hot...once again, the blower will be on high at full hot temp.....

Now if you stay in "auto", and you move the temp setting above 60 or below 90, you are giving control to the control head....the in car temp sensor, measures the heat in the vehicle, and based on that and the outside temp, it determines what the temp coming out of the registers should be, and ALSO, what the blower speed should be....for example, let's assume it's a cold day...you have already driven your car.....the coolant is up to temp........let's say you shut your car off 10 minutes ago....you get in and the car is cold...it's set for 75(which is the midrange of the unit), and it's on auto........since the coolant is hot, and the in car temp sensor says the inside of the car is cold, the unit will command the blower on high, the temp of the air will be hot......as the temp in the car rises, the blower speed may start to slow down and the air out of the register will not be as hot.....in fact, sometimes the temp can overshoot the in car sensor....if this happens, you can actually get cold air out of the register, as the system tries to cool the inside of the car...

The best thing to do, in extreme cold, or extreme hot conditions, is use manual control(the "auto" button will not be eliminated).....then the system acts just like the "old systems"...in manual, whatever you set the speed at, it stays that....whatever you set the temp at, it stays at that temp....in the "auto" mode, the output temp and fan speed will constantly be changing as the inside temp sensor reaches the selected temperature algorithm.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
dyeguy2
AF Newbie

Re: Radio and Temp control problems

Should there be a moderation in air temp coming out of the vents depending on what I set the temp to be? In other words if I set the temp to be 65 should the air coming out be cooler than if I set the temp at 75 or does it blow one temp hot air until the set temp is reached? I also have a 92 Roadmaster and I seem to remember that the air wasn't as warm coming out if I set the temp lower.
dyeguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
control , radio , temp
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster