Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
mynewestautos
Banned

Re: 97 Jeep GC coolant sensor bad

Check the coolant and extra coolant

Most modern cars have a translucent plastic overflow tank that holds extra coolant, and it is attached to the radiator with a hose or tube. Simply check to see that the level is up to the mark. If you need to add coolant, use a mixture of half water and half antifreeze. If you don’t have an overflow tank, you’ll need to remove the radiator cap itself. The coolant level should be within a couple of inches of the top.Don’t remove the cap from a hot radiator. Wait at least 20 minutes for the engine to cool down, and always cover the cap with a rag as you remove it, to avoid hot water coming into contact with your skin.
mynewestautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
TheRealGus
AF Newbie

The problem Has nothing to do with the coolant sensor, Or for that matter anything to do with the cooling system at all, Check out this thread. You will see that it actually has to do with crummy soldering on the back of the VIC (Vehicle Information Centre), & all that is needed to fix this problem is a bit of solder & some patience, I know this because I have changed my coolant sensor on the engine block and in the reservoir & the thermostat just to be sure & all with brand new original jeep parts not aftermarket rubbish, & all it took was a bit of solder.

Last edited by blazee; 03-11-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Linking to the relevant thread.
TheRealGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
lectroken
AF Newbie

I have two links to show that the sensor referred to in the VIC as being bad is only the switch in the coolant overflow tank and has nothing to do with any of the other coolant sensors in the engine.
Look at these links to verify this:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/light...ring.htm#step2

http://autorepair.about.com/od/light...sor-And-Wiring.

This first one shows what you need to know. I dont see any problem with trying to solve this by doing the soldering nor trying to clean contacts etc since the car is almost 20years old. But I want to tell Chrysler that they should be ashamed to label that fault in the VIC as being a coolant sensor when it was actually a switch and not a sensor. Could have saved a lot of us a lot of grief.

Ken
lectroken is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8