Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #16
318ti
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by BLU CIVIC

what's a beemer?? oh yeah you mean BMW never said anything about the transmission or the engine b/c the car still runs like it was new but it's the suspension and the brakes....it's an 90 so i guess that it was time for service...i know how much they cost and you don't have to own a BMW to know this and maintenance will still be expensive even if you do follow the advice on this forum....

but like i said before...it all comes down to the all mighty dollar and what he wants
What exactly went wrong with the suspension, and what was the incremental cost difference between the parts of the BMW and say, a Prelude?
318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #17
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Quote:
Originally posted by 318ti

What exactly went wrong with the suspension, and what was the incremental cost difference between the parts of the BMW and say, a Prelude?
WHAT YEAR PRELUDE?? SAME YEAR??
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:19 PM   #18
318ti
AF Newbie

Contraverial or provocative? Who is being contraversial?

Geez, for Godssakes, read some of the other bad wind in this thread. It is chocked full of advice from people who don't even own BMW's talking like they're experts on them. My last BMW lasted me to 225,000 miles and may be still running for all I know (I traded it). Every BMW owner I know seems stuck to them for life, and reliability is one main reason.

My advice to Davidfnickel is go with the one he likes better. Also consider the safety factors, because the Germans build safety features into cars the Japanese outright ignore. I've owned Nissans and Hondas myself, and have had no increase in reliability with them over any German Car I've owned, and while a BMW part may be a little more expensive than a Japanese equivalent, the times I have had to replace BMW car parts has been SO RARE, that I believe it offsets itself with cars that require more maintenance.

BLU CIVIC - if you are talking brake pads/calipers or Mc Pherson struts/shocks, does the year matter, and if so, why would you not compare them by year?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:41 AM   #19
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Quote:
Originally posted by 318ti
BLU CIVIC - if you are talking brake pads/calipers or Mc Pherson struts/shocks, does the year matter, and if so, why would you not compare them by year?
I MEAN WHAT YEAR PRELUDE YOU ARE REFERING TO WHEN COMPARING TO THE BMW PRICE WISE

1 QUICK THING......YOU DON'T HAVE TO OWN A BMW TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE CAR....ASK A BMW MECHANIC THAT OWNS A ISUZU....HE DOESN'T OWN A BWM BUT PROBABLY KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE CAR THAN THE PEOPLE WHO PUT IT TOGETHER...SAFETY WISE...IT'S UNCOMPAREABLE B/C GERMANS KNOW SAFETY....I HAVE TALKED NOTHING BAD ABOUT THE CAR B/C THERE ISN'T ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE CAR EXCEPT THE COST OF MAINTENANCE....BUT...ONCE MORE IT ALL COMES DOWN TO MONEY AND PREFERENCE
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #20
318ti
AF Newbie

I might also add to David's advice - DRIVE both of them, and I mean DRIVE, not drive, if you know what I mean.

I am partial (if not outright, unashamedly bias) to 318ti's and I highly recommend them to those who love an excellent handling car with enough engine zip for most of us.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #21
GTi-VR6_A3
H4X0R T0 T3H M4X0R

Send a message via AIM to GTi-VR6_A3
Quote:
Originally posted by Swoxy
Good advice. Now can you please tell me, is your car the Compact model?
the 318ti is the small coupe like thing. oddly looks like a bmw corrado to me.

-GTi-VR6_A3
Old 02-06-2003, 10:18 PM   #22
T x 2
AF Enthusiast

I have a 2000 3 series BMW, i bought it brand new so havent had any problems with it so far.... I have had many cars and used to own a 97 model prelude, I loved that car but at the end of the day you can not compare driving a honda to driving a BMW, if you want good quality go for the BMW, I would say that BMW's are not that expensive to repair. my mum also has a Z3 and again she hasnt had any major probs with it...

GET THE BMW.... you will not regret it!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 02:18 AM   #23
Rossco
AF Regular

I own a 1996 320i (2.0 litre six) BMW.
So far it has travelled 163,000 km's (what's that - about 100,000 miles),
and it still runs like the day it was made.

I am a Mechanic and have seen/driven/worked on many cars over the years, and have found that the parts that I have brought for my car so far have not been any dearer than any of the Japanese cars i've owned or worked on.
In fact I would go so far as to say that a lot of the parts for Japanese cars are dearer!

Case in point, I purchased a new headlight lense for my BMW and it cost half the price of one I brought for my Toyota I owned before that.

I Cannot speak for the prices in different countries, but in New Zealand the prices of BMW parts don't seem to be to bad.
I'm sure some parts are dearer, but then if i was that worried about it I would probably own a bike.
In my experience you best to go with the car you most like to drive.

By the way I also like Honda's, they are one of the best Japanese cars on the market.

Rossco,
1996 E36 320i
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #24
318ti
AF Newbie

Swoxy, yes, the 318ti is the American equivalent of the compact that BMW sells(sold) in Europe. They quit importing them here in 1998 due to lack of demand here in the US for a car of that type. It differs from all other American 3 series E36's in that it retained the semi-trailing arm rear suspension that the E30's had before they developed the multi-link rear suspension. It has the 4 cylinder 318 16 valve 1.9 liter engine with knock sensor feature.

I will attempt to attach a photo of the 318ti.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #25
323imankiks
AF Regular

I have owned my car 323 i for about a year and runs fine used 2000 with 50k on it
323imankiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:59 PM   #26
Swoxy
AF Enthusiast

Good advice guys. And to all of you that posted cars, their really nice! Especially the silver Compact with E46 wheels!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #27
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

I just sold my 1997 honda accord EX with 163,000 miles on it. It was a very good car which served me very well. I traded it in on a 2000 BMW 540I(certified pre-owned). The first night I had it I noticed the radiator had a small leak. I took it back the next day and they gave me a 2001 325I as a loaner car why they replaced the radiator. After driving my 540 and driving the 325 I asked myself why have I not driven a BMW for the last 10 years. My honda was great, but the BMW is BAD ASS! Get the BEEMER! Believe me chicks are constantly checking it out.
tomlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:12 PM   #28
oassaf
AF Newbie

I Am Thinking o Getting A BMW

Hey whats up, first of all if you go out and buy a HONDA over a FUCKING BEAMER YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

No matter what you do to a prelude it can never be better then a bmw.

But thats not y i am here..
I am looking to get a bmw in the next month or so and i was looking at the new 2003 330 coupe or purchasing a certified used BMW no older then a 2000. If you guys got any tips for a new buyer i would appresciate that.

Finally.. HONDAS SUCK ASS ALL JAPANESE CARS SUCK ASS COMPARED TO BMW'S
AND CHIKS DIG GUYS WITH BMW'S not HONDAS
oassaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #29
badboy325is
AF Newbie

cost of maintaining a bmw

listen. go with the beemer deifinately. Hondas are a dime a dozen. And beemers arent that bad too work on. First change your own oil, this saves you money. Next buy a haynes repair manual, and a code reader from bavarian autosport. The manual can help you with things you can fix at home but are unsure of how to go about fixing it. The code reader will reset your service lights and also reading fault codes. Hondas do run forever but they dont keep the ride integrity of the bmw. bmw is a well made brand of car and they are built to run for a long time. the driving experience is superior to any car i have ever drove. They are worth a little more money to work on, but there are ways to save money.
badboy325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #30
T x 2
AF Enthusiast

Re: I Am Thinking o Getting A BMW

Quote:
Originally posted by oassaf

AND CHIKS DIG GUYS WITH BMW'S not HONDAS

DO WE ????

I think guys dig chiks that drive BMW's more.....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series