Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 04:31 PM   #16
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

i don't like how the new body looks... i prefer the 2001
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 05:00 PM   #17
moe182
AF Enthusiast

i would pick up the IS300, it is by far the best bang for the buck. And i mean its not like Lexus has any quality problems.....ive driven the car (i have yet to drive the new 3) and its one SWEET car. The ONLY beef i had with the IS300 is (at least when i drove it when it first came out) the lack of an armrest......
moe182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 06:03 PM   #18
lipertz
AF Newbie

I drove the IS 300 as well. Liked it very much, still no BMW.
lipertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 05:00 PM   #19
JPA
AF Newbie

I, too, have been looking seriously at the 2002 325i, and have been comparing it mostly to the new A4 1.8t quattro. I can get either one equipped the way I would like for less than 30k, and this is my goal.

I am extremely impressed with the Audi interior and equipment for the money. It wins hands-down on quality interior over the 325i. The place where it stumbles is the drivetrain: the sweet six-cylinder and the handling of the sport suspension of the 325i are clearly superior to the A4 1.8t with sport suspension set-up.

I have driven three examples of each and always walk away from the BMW with a smile on my face, muttering to myself "This is the ONE." Then, my rational side takes over, and I look at all the "stuff" you get for the same money (quattro, one of those things) with the A4, and I get stuck. Living in Michigan doesn't tilt things in favor of RWD, either.

Any support for my 'gut' feeling to go with the 325i would be appreciated (especially with regard to some posts I have seen regarding poor A/C performance and poor manufacturer response to malfunctions during the BMW warranty period).

BTW: both local dealers are willing to give me $1000 off MSRP for a 2002 model, either off the lot or if ordering a new one.
JPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:44 PM   #20
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Are you the type of guy that wants to play around with the car? If that's the case you should go for 1.8T! The Audi engine have a lot of potential for more power. If you just want a good cruiser then go for 325i.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:45 PM   #21
F20C
AF Enthusiast

It's too bad that Audi won't offered CVT Transmission on Quattro models.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:59 PM   #22
JPA
AF Newbie

I have absolutely NO interest in any modifications.

I am looking for a great "base" car that will give me a solid, reliable, ten+ year driving experience. I want a car that has been well-engineered from the ground up with a bullet-proof drive-train. I get the impression that the BMW might be able to offer me that experience.

I seriously question the longevity of Audi products (I have owned four VWs, and they have been fun to own and drive, but don't really "hold-up" very well as far as rattles and squeaks and sagging doors).
Old 11-16-2001, 08:00 PM   #23
bedheadfred
AF Newbie

Beware of lots of little problems with the BMW 3 series (see my post about problems with my 2000 323ci). If you do decide to get the car, be sure to get the factory extended warranty- its only about $300, but you're covered for about 1 year and 12k mi more. Its worth it. I only have 21,000 miles but have had lots of problems.

The 3 series is a lot of fun and is incredibly well balanced, but reliability is a big problem. Beware.
bedheadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 02:14 AM   #24
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by JPA
I have absolutely NO interest in any modifications.

I am looking for a great "base" car that will give me a solid, reliable, ten+ year driving experience. I want a car that has been well-engineered from the ground up with a bullet-proof drive-train. I get the impression that the BMW might be able to offer me that experience.

I seriously question the longevity of Audi products (I have owned four VWs, and they have been fun to own and drive, but don't really "hold-up" very well as far as rattles and squeaks and sagging doors).
Well then I guess you just answer your own question. Go with the BMW if you have no interest in any modifications.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:38 PM   #25
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

my 2000 328ci hasn't had any problems with it, i think BMW reliability is a amazing.... I wouldn't definetly go for the BMW over the Audi, the build quality is alot better, and it's just an overall better rounded car than the A4. The 3 series always has been the superior entry-level luxury car and still is

bedhead maybe you got a lemon??
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 11-17-2001, 06:04 PM   #26
JPA
AF Newbie

I don't know if KeyMac has made a decision, yet, but I appreciate the feedback and comments I have read on this thread.

I drove a couple more cars today: 02 GTi VR6, 00 325i, 02 325i. The local dealer doesn't have any A4s with sport suspension for me to try, yet.

No matter, I am DONE trying to convince myself that I enjoy driving the A4 as much as the 325i. I love the interior of the Audi and all the "kit," but, frankly, I am probably the target consumer for the BMW: I love its stripped-down, driving machine demeanor. I have yet to want to drive the A4 home, but every time I get in the 325i, I do NOT want to return it to the dealer.

I will have to stop back in a few months to let you all know how it turns-out! Thanks!
Old 11-19-2001, 11:36 AM   #27
bedheadfred
AF Newbie

gang$tarr,

I'm glad you haven't had any problems with your 328. Check out my earlier post: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...5&goto=newpost

Unfortunately, there are definitely other owners with a lot of the same problems that I have experienced. Good Luck
Old 11-19-2001, 12:23 PM   #28
JPA
AF Newbie

I think that you can find plenty of people who have had problems with their cars, of all makes, and not just BMW. The evidence when looking at thousands of owners is that BMW is no worse, and is probably better, than the average car company out there (when it comes to reliability). They certainly don't compare to Honda or Toyota in this department, but I wouldn't buy one of those appliances, anyway!)

I guess you have to pay your money and hope that you don't get a lemon, and that if you do, you trust you have a dealer (and manufacturer) who will stand behind their products.

If BMW really doesn't stand behind their products -- as your posts have suggested -- and I am unwilling to take the risk of getting a lemon, then I guess I should consider another make (although I don't know why I should think that Audi is superior in this respect).

IMHO, I don't think all the satisfied owners are the ones looking for "support" on the internet for their purchases, and that the negative experiences, unfortunately, stand out in this context.

Any thoughts/comments will be carefully read.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:18 PM   #29
bedheadfred
AF Newbie

Hi JPA,

I agree with your comments. When I bought my BMW I definitely didn't necessarily expect Honda reliability (my family has owned over 3 Hondas in the past 10 years, all with flawless reliability), but I did expect that I wouldn't have too many problems in the first 20,000 miles.

I also expected that if I did have problems that BMW would respond to my emails, phone calls, and letters in a timely manner (the priority email claims a 24hr response time).

I have had the following problems all within 20,000 mostly freeway miles:

-seat belt installed incorrectly
-sunroof broke twice
-a/c broke
-coolant therm. replaced
-4 lightbulbs out in 6 months
-cd player doesn't eject properly
-driver's door handle sticks and needs to be manually pushed back in

Other owners have experienced the same types of problems, especially with early 2000 models.

Perhaps my experience is especially poor and rather unique, nevertheless, I think that BMW's customer service should contact me to resolve some of my requests. I called again last friday after months of trying. Hopefully they will get back to me.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:26 PM   #30
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

see that's what's called a LEMON.... if a car is that bad, than the dealership should give you a new car. I know the dealership here would cause i've seen it done before.

usually they try to keep the customer happy so that they buy again