Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Question 94 325is Engine broke down after car washed!!

A week ago, I brought my car to the car wash. When the car approach the end of the track, I noticed that the engine was off by itself. I tried to turn it back on, but it failed. I tried for more than 1.5 hour to see if the situation will turn better when it's a little bit dryer.( I usually wash my car like only 5 times a year because I found water will come in to the passenger floor from the bottom area of the glove compartment. I am sure the water must be from the car wash machine spray cleaning the bottom of the car.) Unfortunately, the car had to toll to the garage to be fixed. The mechanic can't get any signal from the engine computer, and there is no signal for fuel to come up to start the engine. He thinks the engine computer is broken since he opened it and found alot of mold and rust on he computer board. He advice me to replace it and then to see if any signal to tell him what cause the engine don't start. The engine computer will cost me $900 from BMW dealer. I can't affort this money. Even if I have that replaced, the main problem may not be recover if there is no signal for any clue which means the total fixing cost is unknown now, but sure it will over $1000. The market value of the car is $4500. I don't know if I should have the car being fixed or total lost the $4500 car. Please help if you know what cause the problem. Thanks.
jkhe988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW
Unhappy I feel your PAIN ! ! !

I read an article about this same problem with a other BMW owner. He had taken his car thru a car wash and it did the same thing yours did.
His problem was he need a new computer. I'll try and find the link about this article for you. I just replaced my computer in my 325I and it was around $700.

I'll get back to you later. . .

Sorry I wish I had better news for you. . . .

Skycity_BMW
Old 01-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Smile Engine broke down after car washed

Thanks for your reply. I will look forward for your message.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Talking

I hope this helps . . .

http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2003/20030602e.html

Good Luck ! !

Skycity_BMW
Old 01-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Re: Engine broke down after car washed!!

Skycity_BMW, you are super!! Thanks for your help and time!!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
clr4969

Car Wash From Hell

I have a 1993 325i and also had my car die when coming out of a car wash. Verdict: fried the ECM. Cost: $1200. My mechanic stated that the ECM was corroded and that the extent of the corrossion implied that it had occurred over time - this time through the car wash was just the final straw.

I also have located other instances when this nightmare has occurred. In fact, after my debacle, I visited a local "Hand Wash" car wash to inquire how they washed their cars. Without telling him what kind of car I had, I told the owner I had just spent $1200 to replace a computer module that had been damaged in another car wash. He asked me if it was a BMW 325. When I replied in the affirmative, he said he paid for 3 ECMs in the past and will only wash my model car if the driver signs a waiver. He also mentioned that one of the other BMW owners sued the dealer and won.

I was fortunate. My insurance company cover my damaged ECM (they are currently sueing the car wash for reimbursement of their outlay and my deductible). The insurance adjuster that came out to see my car, however, said the ECM had corroded over time and he was surprised the insurance company was covering it (I certainly wont be calling him as a plaintiff's witness). As I said, I was fortunate. I located an article from another BMW owner having the same thing happen whose insurance would NOT cover it -they claimed it was a BMW problem. Nonetheless, BMW has no recall for this obvious design defect and repeated attempts by me to discuss this issue with them have resulted in the run around.

The article on the link you received above discusses the problem my local BMW service center reiterated: The drainage system for the EMC was clogged. Instead of replacing the drainage tube with a modification, they just removed it altogether. They also told me that if I go to a Jet Ski shop, I can get a water protectant desinged for a jet ski's electronics and I can spray it on my new ECM.

Final result: Removing the drainage system and spraying the ECM with protectant is all well and good, but do I really want to risk losing another ECM? (I doubt my insurance would cover it a second time) So- I now hand wash my car. BMW finishes like that anyway.

Hope this has helped.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
simplyalf
AF Newbie

You fags should be handwashing your cars in the 1st place... My grandma is the only person i know who puts thier car throught mechanical car wash...
simplyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
jkhe988
AF Newbie

I just have my car fixed for the DME(Engine Computer). After I search in the internet, I found alot of people had the same problem that I did. Now I learnt the lesson with paying $500(Parts & Labor). If I listen to the mechanic to buy the DME from the BMW Dealer, my bill will be $1300. I contacted a person who's car got hit in the accident and parting out the parts. He sold me his DME for $120(Included Express shipping). I saved alot of money althought the part is used, but it works. Now I have to think of a way to prevent rain or water from going into the DME box. Any suggestion?? People suggested to put into a plastic bag, but it will block the heat from the DME. How could BMW have such a stupid design for the water drainage under the windshield??? Should they reposible for all owners' lost??
Old 01-17-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
alexbmw1987
AF Newbie

look for a new ECU on ebay. i got one for my bmw for $125. My car also leaks in that same spot, but i don't know where from. Please let me know if you find where the water is coming in.
alexbmw1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #10
tess73
AF Newbie

Hey
All you need to do pull the dme, open up the case Buy some electrical contact cleaner, fast drying, get a toothbrush, Gently clean the curcuit board. youll see the corrosion. Dry thouroghly. reasemble dme This will cure your problem for a couple of dollars install dme back in firewall with a plastic bag over it and you'll be back on the road. I've done this on about twenty or more E36 's and have had no problems
tess73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #11
acuns
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Hi,
I had the same problem a week ago. BMW dealer tried to charge me $1700. Eventually I found a used DME and now my '94 325is is running again. But the check engine light is still on and car is a little bit smoking. It wasn't smoking before the problem. I didn't look inside the DME, could the DME include a modified ecu chip. Because I'm using 89 octane but as far as I know modified ecu chips require higher octane gas. What can I do for the check engine light and the smoke?
Thanks.
acuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Engine broke down after car washed!!

Smart to get a used DME to fix the problem; otherwise, you'd be broke due to BMW's FANTASTIC design for a non-waterproof DME compartment!

For Engine Check: I suggest you bring your car to a garage to check the code for engine check light. They have the code reader to tell which sensor failed.

For Smoke Problem: Does smoke come out from the engine or other area? Better ask mechanic to diagnose what's burning. Did you check your motor oil or other fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuns
Hi,
I had the same problem a week ago. BMW dealer tried to charge me $1700. Eventually I found a used DME and now my '94 325is is running again. But the check engine light is still on and car is a little bit smoking. It wasn't smoking before the problem. I didn't look inside the DME, could the DME include a modified ecu chip. Because I'm using 89 octane but as far as I know modified ecu chips require higher octane gas. What can I do for the check engine light and the smoke?
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 AM   #13
acuns
AF Newbie

Smile

Hi jkhe988,
Thank you for replying.
Yesterday, the day after installing the DME check engine light disappeared while I was driving the car. Also car doesn't smoke anymore.
acuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
berl242
AF Newbie

Re: Car Wash From Hell

Hi, I had the same thing happen to my 1992 325 last week. I was wondering if you could tell me what state this occured in so that I could see if i can find the case records from the dealer being sued. I would like to walk into my local dealer with those in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr4969
I have a 1993 325i and also had my car die when coming out of a car wash. Verdict: fried the ECM. Cost: $1200. My mechanic stated that the ECM was corroded and that the extent of the corrossion implied that it had occurred over time - this time through the car wash was just the final straw.

I also have located other instances when this nightmare has occurred. In fact, after my debacle, I visited a local "Hand Wash" car wash to inquire how they washed their cars. Without telling him what kind of car I had, I told the owner I had just spent $1200 to replace a computer module that had been damaged in another car wash. He asked me if it was a BMW 325. When I replied in the affirmative, he said he paid for 3 ECMs in the past and will only wash my model car if the driver signs a waiver. He also mentioned that one of the other BMW owners sued the dealer and won.

I was fortunate. My insurance company cover my damaged ECM (they are currently sueing the car wash for reimbursement of their outlay and my deductible). The insurance adjuster that came out to see my car, however, said the ECM had corroded over time and he was surprised the insurance company was covering it (I certainly wont be calling him as a plaintiff's witness). As I said, I was fortunate. I located an article from another BMW owner having the same thing happen whose insurance would NOT cover it -they claimed it was a BMW problem. Nonetheless, BMW has no recall for this obvious design defect and repeated attempts by me to discuss this issue with them have resulted in the run around.

The article on the link you received above discusses the problem my local BMW service center reiterated: The drainage system for the EMC was clogged. Instead of replacing the drainage tube with a modification, they just removed it altogether. They also told me that if I go to a Jet Ski shop, I can get a water protectant desinged for a jet ski's electronics and I can spray it on my new ECM.

Final result: Removing the drainage system and spraying the ECM with protectant is all well and good, but do I really want to risk losing another ECM? (I doubt my insurance would cover it a second time) So- I now hand wash my car. BMW finishes like that anyway.

Hope this has helped.
berl242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #15
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Different Bimmer

check this site out about another Bimmer goin thru the wash . .
This was in june 14th 2000

http://www.complaints.com/complainto...ne142000.2.htm

Skycity_BMW

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series