Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Specialty 'Stangs
Specialty 'Stangs Are you a Saleen, Shelby, or Rousch enthusiast? If so, this is your forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
SuperStock96
AF Regular

Cobra Saleen

I have never been a real mustang fan until recently. A dealer around my way has a few mustangs for sale and he has one listed as a Saleen Cobra. I didn't think that the Saleens were also Cobras. The car has both Saleen & Cobra markings. Is this a possibility or could it be a Saleen with Cobra bumpers?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Ghost96Gt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Ghost96Gt
Re: Cobra Saleen

well its probley a corba with saleen bodyparts. no there isnt the saleens are 2v engines the s 281's even the extreme is a 2v so no they dont make corba saleens. so i definntaly think is is trying to make a person who isnt the wiser to come and look at it or something or its just a corba with saleen looks.
Ghost96Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
s4fanatic27
AF Enthusiast

Whenever somebody says they have a saleen cobra it should mean that the car is a Svt cobra but it has a saleen front bumper. Cobras with a front saleen bumper are very common, as a matter of fact my brother has one. In few cases saleens have cobra bumpers but its not so common. If your are thinking about buying the car make sure that you pop the hood and make sure thats it a cobra and not a GT trying to pass as one.
s4fanatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
There is an actual Saleen Cobra. Saleen does buy SVT Cobras from Ford and do work on them but only as pre-purchased basis and they are very very expensive!!!!. I think if you goto one of the big SVT only sites there are some threads about it. I think Saleen has averages less than double digit Saleen Cobras a year. They are very rare!

So the one you saw advertised maybe a real Saleen Cobra but more likely it's not and is what the others have describe. The price would probably tell you right off the bat.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:17 AM   #5
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang
There is an actual Saleen Cobra. Saleen does buy SVT Cobras from Ford and do work on them but only as pre-purchased basis and they are very very expensive!!!!. I think if you goto one of the big SVT only sites there are some threads about it. I think Saleen has averages less than double digit Saleen Cobras a year. They are very rare!

So the one you saw advertised maybe a real Saleen Cobra but more likely it's not and is what the others have describe. The price would probably tell you right off the bat.
Could that be the SR? I know SRs average less than double digits and are also very very expensive. Who knows.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
Could that be the SR? I know SRs average less than double digits and are also very very expensive. Who knows.
No it's not the SR.... It's a Saleen Cobra, it's done on an as asked and paid for basis.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
s4fanatic27
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang

Correct, I believe they started producing them in 99'.
s4fanatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Stratocaster5292
AF Enthusiast

There were Saleen Cobras before 99 because I met a guy who had a Saleen Cobra that was that pre 99 bodystyle. I know he wasnt BSing because there was also a pic of his car and his name beside it as the first owner in this book of Saleen Mustangs they were trying to sell at the dealership.
Stratocaster5292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice

Do a search for Saleen Cobra, you will find several of them. Sure not all will be, a lot will probably be "look alikes" but there are real ones as well. They can be purchased from Saleen/SVT dealers.

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #10
SVTcobra306
AF Enthusiast

They were around before '99. Saw one at the SVT Experience in 2000. The car had to be bought from an SVT dealer as a Cobra then delivered to Saleen for body, suspension, and supercharger.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mccobra94

1995 F-150 SC/4X4 351W/E4OD, K&N, Custom Exhaust w/Flowmaster.

Freedom Isn't Free.
SVTcobra306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
speedracer2627
AF Newbie

Yes Virginia there is a Cobra Saleen. Just go to www.saleen.com and look for contacts. There you will find the number for Liz. Call her and give her the last six of the VIN and she can tell you if it is a real Saleen Cobra or a fake. I have a 99 White coupe Saleen Cobra....1 of 20 made in 1999.
speedracer2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

how much is he asking for it
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
DigDoug
AF Newbie

I just bought one today. woohoo

1998 Saleen Cobra (verified by Saleen). Apparently one of 14 Cobra coupes built in 1998.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

must of been expencive
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #15
DigDoug
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Cobra Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatofrito1618
must of been expencive

Well......expensive for a '98 Mustang but I feel it was a good price for what it is. The day after I got it I had to go out of town so I haven't had a chance to get it all cleaned up yet. Once I do I'll post some pics.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Specialty 'Stangs