Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
svoruz
AF Newbie

5 speed manual transmission problem.

I was driving to work one night on the interstate when it sounded like it popped out of gear. I was in 5th gear at the time and then came to a stop. I tried all the gears and the only one that worked was 4th gear. When I have the truck idleing in 1st gear it has a slight grind comingfrom the transmission. Does anyone know what might be bad on the transmission? Could it be one main shaft that causes this problem? Any info is much appreciated. The transmission and clutch both have 225,000 miles on them but both were showing no signs of problems before this happened. thanks in advance

Sean
svoruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
OMSTOUT
AF Newbie

The problem is probably due to a noted design flaw in the manual transmission. I am surprised that you managed to get 225K on the original as I have only been able to get 60k - 80k on the ones that I have had put in on my 93 Ranger 4x4 (4.0L).
The situation is that the main shaft is approx 18 inches long and is supported by nothing more than a "pin bearing" race at the end that is subjected to the most dynamic (non rotational) forces.
I suspect that you will be subjected to a $1600 - $2000 repair bill (about 4 days from a reputable mechanic) or $2500 for a "new" (rebuilt) trans from Ford that will likely take 3-6 weeks to get as they are back ordered so badly, probably due to so many failing.

I hope that I am wrong in your case but it sounds like yours is doing what mine did...
OMSTOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
littledevilbkr23
Banned

Re: 5 speed manual transmission problem.

man, ive got a 91 2.3 liter ranger. its got 245,000 miles on it, the 5 speed manual tranny still works as good as it did the day my dad bought the truck, and i drive the hell out of it, i pop the clutch in every gear, race it,the only thing going now is the slave cylinder
littledevilbkr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
justatech
AF Newbie

Re: 5 speed manual transmission problem.

Its A Mazda Design...but You'll Need It Overhauled You Can Get An After Market Rebuilt For Around $1200.00
justatech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier