Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
hwoolfolk
AF Newbie

2004 Explorer Vibration...

I have this 2004 Explorer 4WD with the 4.6 V8. When I hit 60MPH I get this vibration in the front end. I have replaced the following at the suggestion and expense of 3 different mechanics:

Wheel bearings (3 total)
Front drive shaft from transfer case
u-joint in rear drive shft
4 new tires

Today I figured.. why not replace the last bearing. I took it out myself and it spun perfectly smooth. Bearings anyway would be heard all the time and would deteriorate over time to unbearable noise. This noise I have had for thousands of miles. Cant be the bearing.

I am wondering if maybe it is a half shaft in the front.

I am hoping it is not a tranny or a transfer case.

Symptom: You get the car up to 60 and it vibrates. A low hum that sounds like you have the front window open at high speeds but no other windows.. know what I mean? There is NO vibration in the steering wheel

I am heading up to upstate VT (3-4 hour drive) and need this dang car fixed. Montreal the following weekend.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

T.
hwoolfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2004 Explorer Vibration...

Is it actually a vibration or just a hum? If vibration, do you notice it in the body of the vehicle, in the steering wheel, or in the brake pedal? Do you happen to notice a pulsation when slowing with the brakes? Does the vehicle pull to one side or the other at highway speeds?

My gut would have suggested a problem with the tires, but you stated that you replaced them. Did replacing the tires have any effect on the hum/vibration? Have you changed out the oil in the transfer case/VCU and the front and rear differentials?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
hwoolfolk
AF Newbie

Yes.. new tires. And because there is no vibration in the steering wheel I guess it could be described as a hum. IF by describing it as a hum it might bring up some additional thoughts.. then yes.. call it a hum! Sheesh.. Ill call it anything if someone can figure it out and help me fix it!!!

I have not changed any oils in the differentials, or the transfer case, or VCU.. oh, and tell me.. what is a VCU?

If you think possibly changing fluids might help.. I will.

I have read other posts. I was thinking maybe a 4 wheel alignment but someone said that would not help.

Maybe a half shaft? I would love to see a picture of all the components of the drive train.. all the drive shafts, CV joints, transfer case... all of it connected to have a better idea what I am searching for. Is there such a picture?

appreciate your help!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
hwoolfolk
AF Newbie

I want to add... although I felt this was just normal....

On occasion when you would back out of the driveway and turn the wheel tight.. or when I wanted to take a very sharp turn at slow speed the car would jump... you know, like a CV or U joint would be turned too tight and bind. I have had old 4X4 trucks (my '79 F350 would do it plowing snow) that the CV in the front would catch.. you know.. bind a little. This is why I think it may be a half shaft.

Are half shafts hard to replace?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

If you aren't noticing a vibration so much, yeah, I'd suggest you change the fluids in the differentials and transfer case(TC)/VCU. If your Explorer has 4WD it will have a transfer case, but if it's AWD then it will have a Viscous Coupling Unit (VCU).

There are also several posts on this forum related to rear wheel bearings and pinions that can cause a hum at highway speeds. You might search the forum for more info on those.

The binding that you describe does sound like it could be an issue with an outer CV joint, but as the differential and TC/VCU oils are maintenance items anyway, you might change them to see if that has an effect on the hum. If it does, the issue may be more likely to be a bearing or pinion issue than a CV joint.

-Rod
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
hwoolfolk
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help.

Ok.. this truck does not have the AWD emblem, it has the push button selectors on the dash. Im thinking it has a transfer case.

And.. because there is not a vibration in the steering wheel would you think there is a hum rather than a vibration?

I will try changing the fluid in the transfer case. It has 113K miles so it wouldn't hurt.

Im still a little suspicious of the short shaft on that side. Are they hard to replace? and once I take it out what am I looking for? a loose U-joint?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

Yep, it sounds like you have 4WD rather than AWD.

If you're referring to the short shaft that sends torque to the front wheels, it would be u-joints and it shouldn't be too difficult to remove that shaft.

I think there are other threads on this forum from folks who have removed that shaft for testing purposes. I don't recall if they had to do anything special like disconnect the transfer case shift motor or plug the spline shaft to prevent loss of oil. You might use the Search feature to find those details.

-Rod
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
hwoolfolk
AF Newbie

Im supposed to drive to Montreal this weekend... on Friday! I would really like to figure this out.

I have done the following to date.. still a vibration.

- all 4 bearing have been replaced
- new tires all around
- front drive shaft
- U-joint in rear drive shaft
- front drivers side CV shaft (half shaft)
- fluid change in TC

Could it be an allignment issue?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

An alignment won't cause a vibration or hum unless the alignment caused the tires to wear and cup. If there is a loose suspension or steering component though, that issue should be uncovered during an alignment precheck by a competant alignment technician.

-Rod
Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Snoozerbugger
AF Newbie

Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue.
Snoozerbugger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac