Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
joslinm
AF Regular

body work help

My 92 is a rusted mess. I hate to junk it because it only has 41K on the speedo and the interior still looks almost new. I bought new fenders to take care of that area. I purchased door skins for the rusted bottoms of the doors. These come unprimed. The discription says that you can weld, rivet, or screw them on. If I riveted them on, would I just bondo over the rivet and then prime? I dont care if its not perfect. The point is to get rid of the rust and get some paint on.
Also these are quite wide and come up above the trim strip. What if I cut them to fit just below the trim? Then I wouldn't have the edge on top to deal with.
joslinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
nitrostreet
AF Newbie

Re: body work help

Sounds like you might need to go to your local Barnes & Noble and buy one of the thousands of books on doing bodywork.
nitrostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
djd99
AF Regular

To replace your door skins takes time and a little practice to do it right. To remove the original skins you take a grinder all around the outside door skin to peel the old skin off. Then to fit up your new skins you use a body dolly and a flat body hammer to bend the excess material over the door frame. Put the body dolly on the bottom of the door and use you hammer to bend the new skin over the frame. Takes a little practice but it's not really hard. You can only learn by doing it. I would forget about cutting and excess off as this is not a good idea and forget about the rivet idea also thats just not how it's done.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
joslinm
AF Regular

I'm getting the idea now. This would be much easier with the door off I think. Since I only have the bottom 10 inches of the door to skin (came pre formed) , how do I join the top with the existing door skin. Thanks a million for your time. I won't ask any more stupid questions, Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
blazes9395
Newbie mod

An even easier way to tackle the door problem is to just replace the door. If your pulling it off, find some good clean doors, and you don't have to go through the whole process to fix them. S-10 doors of this era are not that hard to find and you can usually find a good set at a reasonable price.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
joslinm
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazes9395
An even easier way to tackle the door problem is to just replace the door. If your pulling it off, find some good clean doors, and you don't have to go through the whole process to fix them. S-10 doors of this era are not that hard to find and you can usually find a good set at a reasonable price.
I thought of that possibility too. I was just looking at the door. Is it difficult to take off. I have no clue. How does the hinge come apart?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
ericn1300
AF Premium User

door removal instructions here: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm autozone will also lend you the spring compressor youll need. not tough but it does take two people. rplace the hinge pins with new ones, it will make a big difference in sagging doors
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis