Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Kassie
AF Newbie

Question 2000 Subaru Legacy L transmission problems

I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy L sedan. The transmission has started acting strangely and I was wanting to seek advice. The transmission is automatic.

First of all, I have changed the transmission filter and fluid is full.

When the car is in park and I put it into drive, the transmission sometimes doesn't catch/engage. When this happens, I have to put one foot on the brake and rev the engine until it engages into drive. A couple of times, I was at a stoplight, already in drive, and when I let off of the brake, the car didn't move.

Is it correct for me to assume that my transmission is going to need replaced soon??

Does anyone happen to know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy L are interchangeable with my 2000 Subaru Legacy L??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that anyone may have for me
Kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Subaru Legacy L transmission problems

Did you change the ATF?

Is the ATF filter a genuine Subaru filter?

You're 100% positive the level is correct?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Kassie
AF Newbie

I drained all of the ATF that I could and put new in.

The filter is just one that I purchased from my local auto store. Would a genuine Subaru filter make that much difference??

When I check the level, it says full.

It hasn't done it in a few days now but I never know ahead of time when it's going to do it.

If changing the fluid again and using a genuine Subaru filter will fix this, then I'm all for it

Once again, does anyone know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy will fit my 2000 Subaru Legacy??

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassie View Post

If changing the fluid again and using a genuine Subaru filter will fix this, then I'm all for it

I dunno that it will, but for other applications, I know non-OEM ATF/hydraulic filters can cause issues. Other thing is- make sure you're following the manual for checking proper ATF level. It's usually on a warm, idling engine after having cycled thru all gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassie View Post
Once again, does anyone know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy will fit my 2000 Subaru Legacy??

Thanks
1994-1998 is a different series of Legacy than the 1999-2004, but drivetrain components could be the same. Read here> http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=2

Joel
Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Kassie
AF Newbie

Ok...I'm still having problems. Here is the easiest way for me to explain what my car is doing. By the way, the tranny fluid level has already been checked and ruled out.When I go out to start my car for the first time of the day, regardless of the time or the temp outside, it will engage into drive just fine. After I drive and the car warms and I shut it off to go into the store, when I come back out, start it up and put it into drive, it will not engage into drive until I also hold the brake down and rev the engine while still in drive. Reverse works perfectly, all of the time, but I can't drive backwards everywhere I go..LOL...The car is currently parked because I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded somewhere. I am relying on my truck for transportation right now but with gas prices climbing I really need my car back on the road.I read somewhere about some kind of pressure switch. Anyone know what that is? I don't want to lay out the money for another tranny unless I absolutely have too.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
polivan79
AF Newbie

Hi Kassie, I have the exact Same Transmission issue with my 2000 Subaru Legacy L. Have you ever figured out what was wrong with it? Or does anybody know what it could be?
polivan79 is offline   Reply With Quote