Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #16
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"

lol, so true.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
rogmar420
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re:

"if those people arent smart enough to pick up their owners manual and look for the step by step instructions (that ARE in the owners manual) they dont deserve to have the radio"

That's nice. Must make you feel pretty smart, eh?

Well, I'm not gonna be the one to burst your bubble today, I'll simply point out that a severe lack of owners manual sent me to the web in the first place. I've been using, surfing, teaching and designing for the web for about 10 years now, and if it's one thing that I've learned, you can pretty much find ANYTHING you want to on the web.

Trouble is, you also find alot of people who only THINK they know what they are talking about. Gotta sort thru the junk.

I looked for an answer, I found it. It's that simple. Does it matter where I find the answer if it is the right one? And what does a radio have to do with anything?

Not intending to feud with anyone, just curious. A radio?!?

Peace and ball bearings to all!
rogmar420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jakegday Send a message via Yahoo to jakegday
Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmar420
And what does a radio have to do with anything?
oh i dont know, its only what the person i quoted was talking about.....
jakegday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #19
rogmar420
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Oh... well, I suppose if I had read the entire thread, I'd KNOW that, wouldn't I?
rogmar420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #20
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmar420
Oh... well, I suppose if I had read the entire thread, I'd KNOW that, wouldn't I?
lol, you made that really long post because of what I said and you didnt even realize why i was saying it, and then you went on to talk about how much you know about and work with the internet soo much
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #21
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

by the way thats a good lookin 420 in your name
Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #22
mnKISSgirl
AF Newbie

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegday
by the way thats a good lookin 420 in your name
I'll second that
mnKISSgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #23
weaselphd
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to weaselphd Send a message via Yahoo to weaselphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by godenm
i forgot about warranty, also its not a real good idea to unhook battery to reset computer, it actually does not reset it, it just pushes that code to the side(so to speak) & keeps it in memory, you should hav it erased with a obd2 scan tool. they will do it 4 free at autozone, so why not just do it right?. plus, some people dont know how to reset radio after disconnecting battery.

Just as an update... i just got back from autozone and they NO LONGER will RESET the computers codes...

Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #24
sweetpolly
AF Newbie

Hello and I have some news on your problem with the 440 code. I have a 2003 Cavalier and I too had this code show up on my car. I replaced the gas cap because the gasket was bad on it. The place I bought it from cleared my code out for me. Low and behold it came back on. I went and had a special test done called a "smoke" test to find the "leak in the emissions system. The problem was a vent solenoid. The part number is (15215729). When it goes it causes the vacuum sensor not to sense if gas vapors are escaping. I had the extended warranty but the total cost was about $93.00. I hope this helps anyone with this problem. So if you get the "smoke" test done it is approximately $55.00 plus the part which was about $28.00. Well good luck to all.

sweetpolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmomoftwins
I have a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2l 4 door sedan. Well 2 days ago the Check Engine Light came on for the very first time. It has about 54,000 miles so far on it. I read up on it in the car manuel that came with the car and I did check the gas cap on it and it was opened. So I re-tightened it and the the check engine light still came on. Well today I had my husband take it to the nearest AutoZone and they did the check engine light for free and it came up with a code of 440 I believe is what my husband had stated. Something to do with the Emmission. So if it is the emmission what can I do to fix it? I would like to see if I can do a simple way first before taking it to a automotive shop. As far as its running condition it's running fine. No problems to complain about yet...lol!!
sweetpolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #25
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

hello, you are more then a year late, please look at dates before replying to posts....

and as for the post before that, i went to autozone just last week and they scanned my codes for free
Old 05-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #26
beautiful_eyes
AF Newbie

Re: Check Engine Light

my car is doing the same exact thing...maybe i should try a new gas cap, then go the smoke test route

quote=rogmar420]I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier & the 'check engine' light came on. I did a search and found this forum, read the thread, and I thought I might not have heard the 'click' the night before.

The cap was covered in gas and I didn't want to touch it in the first place, and I really didn't close it all that well. I checked the gas cap, made it 'click', drove it around for a few minutes, and the light remained on.

I then disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. When I reconnected the battery and started the car, the 'check engine' light was off, a chorus of angels started singing, flowers bloomed about my feet, and a complete stranger tried to hand me a briefcase full of money!

Well, ok, the light stayed off and that was about it. But isn't that enough?[/quote]
beautiful_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #27
llcam
AF Newbie

i have 2002 cavalier check engine light still on have it check they cant find anything wrong with it its been for 2 years
llcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
shakewell
AF Regular

You need to find out what codes are coming up.
shakewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
csuerman
AF Newbie

I recently had this happen to me in my 2003 Cavalier. The mechanic ran a smoke test on it and discovered a couple of hoses that needed replacing. Two days later, the light came on again. It turned out it the gas cap wasn't sealing properly.

Wish I knew before hand I could have saved myself a couple of hundred bucks for the mechanic's time...
csuerman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis