Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 04:04 AM   #1
Kerberos1278
AF Newbie

WRX reliability?

Hi everyone. I am researching the purchase of a new WRX and I am trying to get some honest opinions from people more familiar with Subaru. I currently have an AWD Eclipse and I love the car but, if you haven’t heard they are prone to have thrust bearing problems that can result in big time damage. My car is working fine for now but, I just don’t want any headaches since it’s my daily driver and I need it to be reliable, you know? Anyway, I have heard good things about the WRX and I love the whole turbo/AWD thing. However, I have also heard that they have transmission problems… is this true? If so, are there measures you can take to prevent problems? I do plan to install performance upgrades if I get one but, what are the chances for consistent problems?

I know the 2002 just came out and there probably isn’t a whole to go on yet since they pretty much redid the car from top to bottom but, if anyone has any helpful info or advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks…

Kerberos1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:47 PM   #2
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

the only problem I've heard is the transmission problem, they have a bad gear box..... every car has something that isn't perfect, this is the WRXs it's still a really good car!
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
RPS3PO
AF Newbie

I have also heard of a problem with the WRX. One of my friends said that the engine is so high strung that after about 55,000 miles it starts to break down. Is this true.
RPS3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 05:36 PM   #4
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

I don't think so.... it's a really reliable car just that gearbox isn't the greatest
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 09:53 AM   #5
ShockWave
AF Newbie

trans and turbo

The info I have come across is that the transimission is the weak link of the car, but unless you are modifying it and increasing the torque, it isn't a problem. However, nearly all turbos start to croak after 50K miles (at least in my experience). You will probably need to rebuild the turbo sometime between 50-75K miles, but then again, if the rest of the car is known to hold up that long it isn't that big a deal.