Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
howard bleach
AF Newbie

Help a complete idiot charge his AC

This should give most of you a good laugh, but as I ask in return for giving you a chuckle is a little help.

The AC on my 98 Mercury Grand Marquis stopped working (on a 98 degree day, natch). I went to the auto parts store and, being a cheapo, opted for a can of Arctic Freeze (the one with the hose attached). I had never tried to charge my AC before.

I THOUGHT I followed instructions - I put the AC on high, attached the hose to the can (puncturing it), and then attached the other end of the hose to the unit. I pressed the nozzle and held it there, shaing it, for five to seven minutes. Then I noticed the can NOT getting cold. I disconnected the hose and a quick tiny blast of stuff came out, so I know the hole was punctured. I started the process again, same thing.

Frustrated, I disconnected the hose from the top of the can (I was wearing gloves of course) and freon shot out of the can all over the place (into a rag), and the can finally got really cold, but only after I wasted the whole can.

Should I go and get a guage and a hose and a separate can of straight freon and start from scratch? Am I in any danger without the gauge? What the hell am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

RB
howard bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
moez1010@yahoo.com
AF Regular

Re: Help a complete idiot charge his AC

The coolant doesnt go anywhere is a closed system. It looses some of its mojo and has to be REPLACED. As in some out and some in. Id bet you are overfilled now. Can will get cold as refrigerant move from can so maybe your compressor was not running and sucking it into the system.

You arent the first one to fall in that quick fix hole.

It has safety features to guard against injuries from system over pressure.

There is a part in the heater core area where the freon moves on through that should it burst could send stuff spewing out the vents in your face.

Or should the high pressure side burst send hot oil your way if you are working on it.

Ive heard it release out the back of the compressor when the pressure got to high like a pressure cooker blowing.

Being a self professed idoit or whatever you referred yourself to.

I suggest wait til spring and take it to a little radiator shop and have the cooling system flushed and A/C serviced.

Sometimes the little guy can give ya a break on the time.
Not say book says 4 hours for flush and fill, book says 4 hours for A/C service, 4 hours for Murphy's Law.

you need to have some special sucking done before you give it the juice.

Good Luck
moez1010@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
taillight
AF Enthusiast

No you did not do anything wrong. Sometime these kits work that way. That is why they are called death kits to people in the industry. If you are not sure how to handle A/C take it to a place that knows how and watch how they put the freon in. That way maybe next time you can do it yourself, or not.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
howard bleach
AF Newbie

Thanks! So what would be another reason the compressor won't engage if not the lack of refrigerant? Anything I can do? Whether I do it myself or bring it in (last resort), I'll have to do it soon - it's 98 degrees here and I have a big trip coming up.

the gauge read 150 psi, which I know is high - any danger in it being too high or will it be okay if I just leave it alone?
howard bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
taillight
AF Enthusiast

High side should be 150-250 depending on temp outside. Low side should be 35-45 and cycle with the compressor. Check fuses. You should have 12 volts to the compressor with the A/C on. Pull the plug on the low side switch and put a jumper wire on the plug (not the switch). The compressor should run.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
mr_mushroom
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mr_mushroom

your system may need to be evacuated and recharged. moisture can build up in there, and even though you have a full charge, your a/c won't work properly.

if the compressor isn't working at all, i'd have it checked. of course, this will also require an evac and recharge.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical