Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
jhillcon
AF Newbie

1994 Concorde Electrical Problems

My gas, RPM and speedometer gauges quit working as well as the blower for the airconditioning. All fuses in the dashboard fuse panel have been checked and are okay. Any help is appreciated.
jhillcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1994 Concorde Electrical Problems

sounds like either a bad bulkhead connector or a bad ignition switch.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
brky67
AF Newbie

My 94 Concorde with a 3.5 has the exact same problem. After the gauges go though hot air I think right off the engine is blown through the windshield defroster vents. My mechanic told me that Chrysler put out an advirsory about a fused point and he thought that was the problem. It wasn't. Pardon my ignorence but what is a bulkhead connector and where is it? Thanks
brky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brky67
Pardon my ignorence but what is a bulkhead connector and where is it? Thanks
the bulkhead connector is a large connector that usually contains many wires connecting component between the engine and the inside of the car (also know as firewall connector).
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
jjholwell
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem on my 94 Concorde. $400 dollars later, the mechanic decided it was the ABS control module. Apparently a faulty transistor in this module will send a higher than expected voltage the the ECC module which controls these various gauages etc. When this voltage is detected the computer shuts down certain functions to protect its self. The dealer wanted $600 for a new ABS module, but I just had them disconnect it. I then went to a junkyard and pulled my own, and installed it myself. Its really a pretty easy install. Just a thought.
jjholwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
brky67
AF Newbie

Thank you both for the input, we just had to have both hubs replaced and the boots and something else. Now we have to do a tune-up because of a major miss, hoping plugs and wires fix that. So before summer probably next month it's heading back to the shop to find this problem, I will definetely print these out and take them to my mechanic. Thanks again!!
brky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
BAMM73
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhillcon
My gas, RPM and speedometer gauges quit working as well as the blower for the airconditioning. All fuses in the dashboard fuse panel have been checked and are okay. Any help is appreciated.

I have a 96 concord with the same problem, how did you get yours
to work again?
Thank you,

Mike from michigan
BAMM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
jjholwell
AF Newbie

Well...basically I had the mechanic disconnect the ABS module computer. This stopped the over-voltage condition from hitting the ECC and turning off the instrument cluster. Then, I drove the car around like that for about 6 months (I was too poor to have it replaced). If you do this be warned, you will NOT have anit-lock breaks or traction contol. Also, that annoying little yellow TRAC CONT light will be permanently on in the dash.

After this annoyed me to the point of insanity, I went to the following autozone repair guide link and took the previously dissconnected CAB Module (ABS computer) completely out of the car, and went the local junkyard and bought (pulled) a used one for about $40. I then installed the new (used) module and have been fully opperational to this day.

Just a little more info. The instruction say you must remove the entire HCU (hydraulic control unit) from the vehilce to get the CAB module out. I did NOT do this as it would have been a major job. As I recall I loosened various mounting bolts and other NON-Hydraulic connections/bolts and then used various hand torturing finger bends to manuver the CAB out and around the HCU. I then reversed the process. Plan (Novice) for a 4 hour job.

Also, to this day my climate control unit blanks out and blows hot defrost every once in a while (usually when I'm using A/C). A swift kick or punch to the passenger side the housing breaths life right back into it.

Hope this helps.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801859b8.jsp
jjholwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
TBM69
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 1994 Concorde Electrical Problems

Hello everyone, Ths is Eric - TBM69, I am asisting a friend with a serious issue simillar to the one described here. Unfortunately the ignition switch works and it does appear that the power to the main computer module is getting unterupted at the introductioction of the Acc. on the way to START on the ignition switch channels. Did all of your vehicles start and run with this issue before the repairs or was it simmply the gauges and heater fans that were an issue?
TBM69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
604action
AF Newbie

Wow sounds complicated.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
Quadis246
AF Newbie

Greetings Eric TBM69. We too are experiencing the same problem with what appears to be some type of power disconnect in the ignition system. The car will start and run bit the fuel gauge goes out a half second or so after turning to the run position. The check engine light will also not function unless the key is in just the right position. The speedometer also does not function which believe to be the reason the tranny is in limp mode. Aslo the heat/AC blower works but none of the vent or blend doors respond or function and the diagnostic gives faults on every blend door codes. Almost as though the blend door actuators have no power source. Possible the ignition switxh?
Quadis246 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde