Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
NJPagan
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to NJPagan
1997 JGC In dash voltage meter will drop...

and then once it gets to 9 or so volts, it’ll drop to 0 and then I get the Check Gauges light. It will rarely recover from this condition without restarting it. I’ve never made the observation I’ve had a low voltage condition until the recent single digit mornings we’ve been experiencing here. (Generally, cold weather will make this problem happen)
Recently, with this single digit weather, after I start it (No real problem getting it started) I’ll get the needle drop and then wait to see when (And lately wondering, if) the charging circuit is going to come on. I get all the low voltage drama, HUD goes out, clock on the radio goes out, LED display on the odometer gets “fuzzy” around the edges as some of the LED’s aren’t getting enough power.
My question is, where is the voltage regulator? Is it resident in the alternator? Is it outside the alternator? I really don’t know what specifically to ask, other than that. If I do get an outright regulator fail, I need a Plan B, And information is usually how I come up with one...

Thanks In Advance!
NJPagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
NJPagan
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 JGC In dash voltage meter will drop...

Update: Car seems to have the don’t want to charge when I first start it going on no matter what the temperature is outside. Got out of work, started it and played the, “Is it going to start charging?” game again. 26 degrees out...
Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
NJPagan
AF Newbie

Yet another update. I brought it to my mechanic who told me that although the battery may have enough power to start the vehicle, if the post start battery voltage drops off too far, the charging system will not start charge output. He also told me that Jeeps are particularly sensitive to low voltage issues, and low voltage will create all kinds of weird problems.
On to the load test. We’ll see what kind of voltage lingers after ten seconds of glowing Ni-Chrome wire...
Old 09-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
NJPagan
AF Newbie

Battery was the problem... 4 year old battery didn’t have enough post start power left to keep the charging system happy. Replaced the battery and problem gone.
All fixes should be so simple...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8