Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
bringselpup
AF Regular

Re: UPDATE: 1996 Jeep GC multiple misfires, hesitation and bucking (Tranny question)

You gotta use something like photobucket.

What page you looking at in Haynes?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
mike521
AF Newbie

Re: UPDATE: 1996 Jeep GC multiple misfires, hesitation and bucking (Tranny question)

I have a 96 cherokee sport 4.0 with the same problem. i am also a auto tech for 15 years and this problem has whipped my butt and my friends and co workers as well. I have changed or tested every ignition part on the vehicle and still the skip. the only code i get is a tps wich has been changed. Sounds like you have done the same. the only thing left is the carbon on the valve thing wich actualy makes some sense so thanks for posting that info!! Or a bad ground some where. Jeeps have a ground strap from the fire wall to the head or ive seen some to the intake ck that as well seen many problems from theese straps.
mike521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
HillbillyLes
AF Newbie

Any resolutions to this issue? My 96 5-speed Cherokee is having the same issue. New fuel filter, newer injectors, new coil/cap/rotor.wires and plugs, new exhaust with catalytic converter. load on hills and acceleration seem to be the causing factors. Runs great other than the unpredictible and random light bucking/skipping. I have owned it for about 4 months and it belonged to a mechanic previously who had been going thru it as a long term restoration project. Engine and drivetrain were gone thru completely during that process. I did not notice this skip or buck issue for a couple of thousand miles after i bought it (actually drove it about 2.5 hours home when I bought it largely interstate without any notes of the light but noticible bucking that has developed). There were no changes or issues prior to noticing the issue. actually started as CELs for multiple cylinder misfires that I never really noticed. CELs seem to not be as frequent lately but the bucking or skipping has come to the point of my being able to feel it...or am just more sensitive to it due to the CEL issue that I could never trace.
HillbillyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #19
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Have you changed the distributor pickup?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172574698985/www.ebay.com/
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
HillbillyLes
AF Newbie

I have not because there has been no indication that it might be bad. Is there something you are seeing that might indicate that it is bad? Are you the E-Bay seller of the part you linked to in your reply?

I am circling around either o2 sensor issues or CPS issues.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I'm not the seller of the part. They can cause misfires and hard starting.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
HillbillyLes
AF Newbie

That is something I can explore, however, I have never had an issue starting just intermittant episodes of bucking or misfire under moderate load accelerating or passing, usually.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #23
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyLes View Post
That is something I can explore, however, I have never had an issue starting just intermittant episodes of bucking or misfire under moderate load accelerating or passing, usually.
Look for a spot you can install a 12V test light on the negative wire from pickup in distributor as someone else cranks the vehicle watch if test light blinks. Erratic pulses would help you pinpoint problem with pickup.
Using a voltmeter a good coil should have appx. 12V from positive to negative with the ignition on. If you have a Haynes or other manual you can also check ohm readings for the coil.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8