Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
herbett
AF Newbie

Help! Beetle wont start!

IT died while Idling and I tried to push start many times and it would not go. A few days before it died it would act like it was running out of gas so I pumped the peddal a few times and it kept going. The check engine light is on for the MAF but I haven't a had chance to run it for any new codes yet. I can here the fuel pump when i turn the ket on, so I think the pump and relay are working. by the way this is 98 2.0L 5spd
thank you
herbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
72mino
AF Regular

Re: Help! Beetle wont start!

Did you figure out your problem yet? If not have you tried giving it a bit a gas while trying to start it since it worked to keep it running?
In case you don't know, MAF, stand for Mass Air Flow sensor. That sensor basically determines how much gas to allow in, so if it is bad then it could cause your car to not get enough gas.
Depending on what type of MAF VW uses, you might be able to clean it. If it is the type that has 1 or 2 thin wires inside it, then I think you just use aerosol carb cleaner and clean gently with a toothbrush, but take it off the car 1st.
I know my way around a car, but I am not an expert and don't specifically have experience with VWs, so don't take what I say as gospel, but I hope I have helped.

Dustin
72mino is offline   Reply With Quote