Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

93 aerostar won't start when warm

ok i have a 93 ford aerostar 3.0 motor i can walk out in the morning and it will crank right up no problem let it run 30 minutes shut it off and it won't crank ! ok motor turns over but does not start!
tested ignition moduale tested coil both good but then i ran the truck until warm shut it off and again no start so i pulled the coil wire cranked it over plenty of spark !!!!!!!! so now it leads me to a fuel issue any one have a good starting point on this one ??? it acts like a vapor lock almost except i know fuel injection does not really have a vapor lock issue
moneymaker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 aerostar won't start when warm

When the problem occurs, you need to check for spark at the plugs. I know you said you had spark at the coil wire, that's good, but you need to check for spark at the plugs. When the problem occurs, if you have spark at the coil wire and no spark at the plugs, then the problem is either the dist. cap or rotor. If you have spark at the plugs then you can move on to the fuel system.

I did'nt think to ask were there any codes?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

Well no i did not check for spark at the plug but that is an easy one .
As for codes how and where to pull them i have an obd II reader but that will not work on this van. ok lets say we pass the spark test where would you look next. i have limited time to mess with this van and i want to be able to eliminate as many problems as i can quickly since it will be going up for sale when i repair this problem i have replaced dang near every thing rack and pinon , tires ,brakes,rotors ,ignition moduale, battery, shocks , exhaust, wheel bearings , rear gate lifts , ect.ect.ect. i just want my money back out of the thing but i don't want to sell a problem to someone else either.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

ok Tested for spark at the plugs it is getting good spark once it is warm !
it is also getting fuel ! it almost acts like it is flooding the motor but it is fuel injected. once warm if you shut it off i can spray starting fluid in the intake and try to start it nothing . Hold it to the floor and crank it and crank and crank it will start but it takes time and it blows black smoke after starting.

new fuel filter and new plugs this week still no change.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

have spark at plugs as well ! it acts like the motor is flooding out???
it will start up if you hold it to the floor and crank it for a pretty long periond of time ! it fires up and smokes black until the excess fuel is burned off !

problem is you can shut it off warm and try to start it 2 seconds later it won't unless you keep cranking it. but let it cool down a hour or so it starts up perfect . this on has got me baffeled. new ignition module and tested new coil ect no change new plugs and wires no change. no codes ! oh new exhaust system and new O2 sensor as well .

93 3.0 thats driving me nuts
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

well i thought one of our Ford experts out there would know or have a thought on this problem . again if you go out and its cold it cranks right up. let it warm up and if you crank it the motor will spin have spark at the plugs have fuel ! but you must hold it to the floor and crank it a minute and it will slowly start running rough for a little bit then smooths out acts like its flooding ??? but why it is injected one leaking fuel injector could not do this and it does this when warm only also if you shut it off then right away try to start it you get the same results no time for it to flood if it was.

there is a condensor on the coil could this do it ??
Old 05-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
teakstone
AF Newbie

Let's see if I understand the problem.

The van turns over easily and starts when the engine is cold. After the engine has come up to operating temperature, the engine does not turn over easily.

If that is the situation, I dentify if the starter is drawig more than typical start current when at temp. This can be done by turning your dome light on and turning the ky to start.

If the light dims more than when doing a cold start, you have some sort of binding happeneing, hoprfully it is the starter not the engine.

If the dome light does not dim as much as during a cold start, then you are not drawing enough current and look for poor connections or faulty components in the starter system.

Good luck.

Please post what the fix is so we can all learn from this.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
hummbug
AF Newbie

Check the timing cause if it is a little high the car will crank fine while it is cold but let it run for a few minutes and the shut it down it won't crank back for 20-30 minutes for it to cool down.
hummbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
teakstone
AF Newbie

If your coolant sensor is out of calibration, the system may thnk the engine is cold and dump tons of fuel, casuing a no start. Sort of like trying to start a warm carb engine with the choke on.

When the engine is running, is the exhasut black indicating a rich condition? If so, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is the most likely cause. Pull it out and measure the reistance. The air temp sensor usually has an identical resistance curve as the CTS
proffet (07-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakstone
If your coolant sensor is out of calibration, the system may thnk the engine is cold and dump tons of fuel, casuing a no start. Sort of like trying to start a warm carb engine with the choke on.

When the engine is running, is the exhasut black indicating a rich condition? If so, the Coolant Temperature Sensor is the most likely cause. Pull it out and measure the reistance. The air temp sensor usually has an identical resistance curve as the CTS
Now that sounds like it could be the monster i have been hunting . because it cranks over fine cold or warm ! but once warm you gotta hold it to the floor crank the crap out of it and then it starts up like a flooded motor ! i know i got it to the floor. but its the only way it starts. and when it does yes it blows black and now that you mention it i think it puffs black while warming up and running. ! GOD please let this be the fix.

i worked as a mechanic for many 10 years and this one had me baffeled LOL ! but again i was a mechanic for many years but i have been out of it for 16 years and working in a total different field. so you forget a few things. gee i have been beating my head against the wall but i really think you found the cure it sounds right anyway. i will post back if that fixed it.
Thank you all in advance for your help !

Last edited by moneymaker44; 06-23-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

Teakstone you da man !!!!!!!!!! that was the problem drove me nuts LOL
like i said been years since i was in the mechanic world so that slipped my mind. thank you for helping me with this Brain draining problem.
starts up warms up shut it off and boom cranks right back up no problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
proffet
AF Newbie

"cold crank, won't start/ warm crank ,does start" post

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...8&postcount=57

THANKS TEAKSTONE ... seems that it works in both situations - cold and warm cranks.
proffet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar