Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
3000GT4ME
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 3000GT4ME
Wink Trying to get that loud exhaust....

What would someone really need to do to get that loud, not cheap sounding, exhaust on a base 3k? I dont want to just go the cheap way but what all do i need to replace to get a nice setup? Besides getting a test pipe.
3000GT4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Trying to get that loud exhaust....

Well definantly get a catback, mufflers. Hiflow cat and downpipe are also good. Borla and ATR are popular choices for our cars. I'd check out 3sxperformance.com or other sites for our cars
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:23 AM   #3
gtowill
AF Newbie

i had the factory xzorst system replaced with a 3" system. One straight pipe (bout 2 metres) and two bends. it starts from the bottom of where the down pipes join. Have two stainless steel mufflers ( 6" barrels with 5" tips) on the same side to "enhance" the unique noise. used to have just the one, but found it too noisy and in N.Z you can get a ticket if your car is louder than factory!!!
gtowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

That would qualify as loud as hell
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Muerte_X
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT4ME
What would someone really need to do to get that loud, not cheap sounding, exhaust on a base 3k? I dont want to just go the cheap way but what all do i need to replace to get a nice setup? Besides getting a test pipe.
Ok, this is what you do. Look under your car near the rear wheels at the exhaust pipe. You'll see a flange, unbolt it there, slide the flanges sideways opposite each other, put one bolt back in a different hole through the two flanges to hold it to the side so that the exhaust doesn't go through the mufflers anymore. Sorry if my explanation is kinda confusing, i'm sure pics would help, if you need some i'll try to find some.

If you like the way it sounds, just have an exhaust shop build you some pipe from where you unbolted it back. If you don't like it, just bolt it back up. I think It sounds awesome, great flow, and it's cheap. s:
Muerte_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

me and a girl around town did this and she has an sl.
buy two exhaust pipes, there bout 100 bucks a piece, then find a muffler shop and have them split the exhaust about halfway of the exhaust and make sure they make it 3 inch, that way you have the same dual look and gain hp, need more buy a downpipe, maybe look into stillen all this costed me $340 all together, you can feel the gains at high rpms. need me to explain better let me know.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #7
gtowill
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Trying to get that loud exhaust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
That would qualify as loud as hell
sounded like a GTR on steriods!!!!now got more of a grumble with less tinner noise @ 6200rpm.bout 145Db before - now 134ish Db ( @4400- 5200 rpm), and with the siliencer 82Dbs (legal max 74ishDbs).
gtowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
ugination87
AF Regular

just a question but dus silencers just silence the mufflres?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Teazrsnow
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Teazrsnow Send a message via Yahoo to Teazrsnow
no a straight through muffler is basically a form of a silencer

2nd Place Drag racing Fwd 3s National Gathering 03[
Teazrsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
3000GT4ME
AF Regular

"me and a girl around town did this and she has an sl.
buy two exhaust pipes, there bout 100 bucks a piece, then find a muffler shop and have them split the exhaust about halfway of the exhaust and make sure they make it 3 inch, that way you have the same dual look and gain hp, need more buy a downpipe, maybe look into stillen all this costed me $340 all together, you can feel the gains at high rpms. need me to explain better let me know."

This sounds like something i would be looking at it is cheap and you say it sounds good. It is a little confusing however but i am sure with some better explaining this would be wonderful.

"Ok, this is what you do. Look under your car near the rear wheels at the exhaust pipe. You'll see a flange, unbolt it there, slide the flanges sideways opposite each other, put one bolt back in a different hole through the two flanges to hold it to the side so that the exhaust doesn't go through the mufflers anymore. Sorry if my explanation is kinda confusing, i'm sure pics would help, if you need some i'll try to find some.

If you like the way it sounds, just have an exhaust shop build you some pipe from where you unbolted it back. If you don't like it, just bolt it back up. I think It sounds awesome, great flow, and it's cheap. s:"

This also sounds pleasing can you also explain a little better. I really am not an exhast guy so i dont know much all i do know is i want a loud rumble when i come riding by.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
N/A-SAVAGE!
AF Newbie

right by your rear wheels the muffler(s) connect to the rest of your exhaust. have a muffler shop take off your muffler at the flangs and replace it with a 2.5 pipe with a cool tip ( make sure they weld a flange on there so you can swap back if need be ). no muffler = real loud.
you could do this for less than $60
N/A-SAVAGE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

half way down your exhaust, like about the begining of your backseats you wanna tell the muffler shop to split the exhaust and have your dual mufflers. and tell them to customize the exhaust to 3inches.
i'll get some pics of my car on here soon.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
3000GT4ME
AF Regular

okay thanks, they will do all of that and actually know what i am talking about? I see that you still have the same pipes and all which is what i want, i want the same look just louder.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
3000GT4ME
AF Regular

I live in VA, the cops really will get on my ass if i dont have mufflers.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
N/A-SAVAGE!
AF Newbie

if you want really loud just take every thing off from the cat back and run 3" all the way the your rear wheels then split it up to both sides with 2.5" pipes and use dual tips so they cant tell you dont have a muffler on.
N/A-SAVAGE! is offline   Reply With Quote