Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #1
Philbusta
AF Newbie

Mechanic mixed two different coolants instead of flushing

First, hello. I am in a bit of a pickle. I took my 98 Sienna into my mechanics for a coolant flush and thermostat change as I had no idea what kind of coolant was in it since I purchased it besides that it’s green, and probably a simple “universal” one, and wanted it to be loaded with Zerex Asian red. I tell them what I need in advance and book an appointment, come in tell them I’m there for the flush and thernostat, hand them the thermostat and talk about labor price for the thermostat as I already knew their flush rate. Apparently this guy forgot I said I was there for the coolant flush in the course of this discussion about the thermostat. I come back when they’re done and pay the bill. They tell me there’s plenty of coolant I brought them left. That’s weird, I bought 4 gallons and it should need atleast 3 for the job (they told me to buy 4 themselves). I look at the invoice and only thermostat is listed. I run back in and ask why that is why isn’t coolant flush listed? He said oh that’s the price for everything. In a dumb move I decide to drive the van home and on my way there I realize this is messed up and doesn’t add up. I call them when I get home and ask how they flushed the system with only 1 gallon when they said they needed four. He responded in confusion and said “I was going off our conversation and only changed the thermostat and added the coolant required for that” to which I responded no no no no I booked a coolant flush and thermostat change (to which his response was “yeah that’s what we have here in the books but I was just going off our conversation” which I did bring up the flush in that conversation to boot) and that they had just added a gallon of a completely different (I assume being green) kind of coolant to my system and mixed them. “Well I don’t know what kind of coolant was in there when you brought it in” Yeah I didn’t either, I brought it to you to flush it and replace it with coolant I knew what is, and get rid of the possibility of any weird nonsense there. Instead they did exactly what I brought it into to prevent, and opened Pandora’s box to who knows what kinds of issues. “Bring it back in on Monday and we’ll take care of it” I responded I don’t wanna drive it around, had I known you guys had mixed coolant instead of flushing it like I asked, I wouldn’t have drove it home, who knows how that affected it. “You should be fine for a few days” they say, I respond with a that’s not at all what I hear. “In my opinion it’ll be fine until then. Bring it back here if you want on Monday.”

I am pissed. I get shit happens but that was selective hearing or something to the fullest and what’s more they compromised my system and I have to leave the mixture sitting in there for 2 days now. I have read horror story after horror story affecting every which way of your cars engine and system of people mixing coolant and the fact that I brought it in there to prevent exactly that from happening makes it even worse. From what I know Zerex red contains no silicate and whatever this green stuff is likely does, leading me to believe they mixed 2 incompatible coolants together in their oversight. I’m inclined to believe this will gel or gunk up or corrode badly. They admitted their mistake but idk what they intend to do to make it right. Completely unacceptable. Now Im all paranoid and don’t want to even touch my van over the weekend and will probably ask for them to tow it to the shop just to not risk it.

What should I do about this situation?
Philbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Mechanic mixed two different coolants instead of flushing

Yes they made a mistake. Yes it should be fine until Monday. Most green coolants nowadays are "universal"
Old 02-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Philbusta
AF Newbie

Re: Mechanic mixed two different coolants instead of flushing

Alright. I figure I’m just being super paranoid and annoying but, idk man I care about my van alot and it’s cooling system
Philbusta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > General Discussion