Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
JGMJ
AF Newbie

1985 Corvette starting and interior lights problems.

My 85 Corvette has been stored since 1995. It has travelled less than 17,000 miles and was working perfectly when stored. When the battery is connected, the fuel pump is activated and the door lights come on sporadically, draining the battery (The ignition switch remains in the off position and the doors are closed.) I have replaced the pump and sending unit and this new pump also starts when the battery is connected (but with the ignition in the off position). I have also changed the fuel filter. The engine turns over quickly but does not start. I poured some gas on to the air filter and the engine immediately fired up and runs until the gas in the air filter has been used up. I've also tried a new Fuel pump relay, with no effect.
Questions: 1) Why does the pump start running when the Ignition is off and the battery is connected?. 2) What is stopping the gas from reaching the engine? and 3) Another topic. Why do the door courtesy lights come on when the Ignition is off and the doors closed?
JGMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1985 Corvette starting and interior lights problems.

Is the motor OEM configuration? L98?
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schrade For This Useful Post:
JGMJ (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
autojoe
AF Regular

gm used a oil pressure switch as a backup for a failed fuel pump relay.contacts would close about 4 psi oil pressure and provide voltage to pump.may take a few seconds before starting.I dont know what year they started that....maybe 1986.if you have that then switch maybe shorted.try disconnecting the oil pressure switch.The lights would be controlled by a body control module I think.I am not at work.I would have to look up on my alldata.Carb spray is safest to spray into throttle body to test for fuel problems.apparently your injectors are not being pulsed......computer has to see a crank signal before grounding injectors.did the drain and lighting issue and no start and pump running all the time happen together?let me know engine size.
autojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autojoe For This Useful Post:
JGMJ (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

A-Joe,

In this case, size doesn't matter. It's a TPI, and the '85 version of the Bosch/Delco TPI with the 16K EPROM, analog MAF, cold start injector, and all the baggage that went along with it.

Good call on the auxiliary oil pressure switch!

Obviously, the distributor is generating reference pulses since the engine runs if fuel is applied. Check the INJ1 and INJ2 fuses to verify the injectors have supply voltage. Verify proper fuel rail pressure with a gauge - Minimum 34 PSIG KOEO.

As for the interior lights, check the door and deck switches and their wiring first, and the IP light dimmer since it has a courtesy lamp override at its full-on position. If those are intact, check the courtesy lamp theater lighting module. I've had a few of them fail with the transistor in the shorted E-C mode which keeps the light on constantly. P/N 14080625. It's behind the RH kick panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
JGMJ (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
JGMJ
AF Newbie

Yes , it is a L98
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
JGMJ
AF Newbie

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer. I'll start to apply your ideas.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
JGMJ
AF Newbie

Blue Bowtie.
Thanks for all the information. I'll start applying your recommendations.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
JGMJ
AF Newbie

Autojoe. The Engine is the 5.7 litre L-98. All problems occurred simultaneously when I started the process of getting the car running. (added a new battery)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
autojoe
AF Regular

oil pressure switch has an orange wire and a red wire.with key in on position there should be no voltage on red wire.....or disconnect with key in on position and see if pump quits running.....if there is voltage on red wire and pump quits running when oil pressure switch is disconnected then replace the switch.see if injector 1 and injector 2 fuses are good.if they are good then you will have to see if the drivers inside the computer are working.these are bank fired injectors and you have 2 banks of 4 injectors.take a test light connected to ground....i always use the negative battery terminal....injectors 1,3,5,7 the control wires will be light blue....backprobe this wire at one of the injectors 1,3,5,7 and observe test light during cranking....the test light should flicker.next on injectors 2,4,6,8 the control wire color is light green...back probe one of these injectors and see if test light flickers.this will tell you if computer is pulsing the injectors on and off.How is the fuel quality in tank?alcohol/moisture?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
JGMJ
AF Newbie

Autojoe and Blue Bowtie: Thank you for your advice, which I am now trying to implement. My local mechanic printed out the location of the Oil Pressure sender.(Alldata.) It is shown at the rear of the Engine next to the Distributor (Driver's side). I haven't been able to locate it there. (I'm assuming that the Oil Pressure Switch and Oil Pressure Sender are the same.) Where should I find the Oil Pressure Switch?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
autojoe
AF Regular

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette