Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Re: Do "Octane Boosters" work?

no, the fuel is injected at the same time. when you compress air it gets hot, if you run alot of boost or really high compression you can compress air to the point where it becomes hot enough to ignite the fuel without spark

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity

actually the NOS can has been proven to do -some- good

it will take 91 to about 93. May not seem like much, but for us Cali guys it helps.

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
no, the fuel is injected at the same time. when you compress air it gets hot, if you run alot of boost or really high compression you can compress air to the point where it becomes hot enough to ignite the fuel without spark
Don't forget advanced timing.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

Higher octane as I understand it is supposed to be used if your car has a high compression ratio. It is actually less flamable believe it or not and helps prevent pre-detonation. That is why if the average joe throws in 110 octane it won't really do much.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #20
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Yes, it is a common belief that higher octane fuel makes you go faster. The fact is running 110+ octane fuel just allows you to run higher boost, compression, or advanced timing and not get pre-detonation. It is there so you can have go fast goodies and not pop you engine.

Try running 30 PSI and WOT on pump gas and see what happens.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #21
STULER
AF Newbie

Octane boosters do work. But i think people believe that adding some octane booster will make their 98 honda civic go the speed of light like u see on fast and furious when paul walker uses his NOS.

I use Octane booster in My 2007 kawasaki Ninja zx14. i dynod it with and without octane booster. it does work. there was a 4 hp difference increase with it than without it. on a stock bike with a power programmer tune. The stuff does work but i dont think i would use it other than if i took my bike to the track. not worth the money in my opinion
STULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #22
Mr Driver
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Do "Octane Boosters" work?

Sorry to correct most of you but Nos max racing octane booster does work and it raises octane numbers by 6 full octane numbers or 60 points probably when used at highest recommended dosage. So that means 91 becomes 97 octane fuel. Pretty good if u ask me, And most people don't have the compression to take full advantage of that octane rating anyways. I have used it in a Harley with 11.3:1 compression and notice the difference in throttle response and power. If you put it in a VW Beetle it will run like a VW Beetle and you probably wont really notice a difference. If you put it in something with high compression and or boost you will be more likely to keep buying it. Kind of expensive but it does work. At least some of it does.
Mr Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #23
J32A3
AF Newbie

Octane Boosters do work, as long as you use the right one. I recommend Dyno-Tab HP Octane Booster, it comes in a variety of packets. I purchased and used the 2-tab card Manufacturer part #45432. It is safe for catalytic converts & O2 sensors and that is very important for a daily driver or weekend warrior. Unless you have a full blow race car, no worries there. I used 2 tabs in my 17 gallon tank. 1 tab gives you 10 points & 2 tabs gives you 17 points. If you are not clear on how to read and understand the points system, don't worry it is located on the back of the product. I have to use 91 octane at every fill up, so 2 tabs bumped me up to 92.7 octane. The more you use the better. It made a huge noticeable difference. The card is also very convenient because of a less waste.
J32A3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical