Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > XL-7
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
ndanforth
AF Newbie

rear axle damage on 04 XL7

I was recently in an accident where I hydroplaned did a 360 hit a light pole and went into a ditch on the interstate doing 65mph. The insurance company doesnt want to total it because there is just rear suspension, axle damage and some cosmetic work on the driverside. But everyone that I have talked to says I need to fight to get ittotaled because it will never drive the same again. Does anyone have any advice for me, i would greatly appreciate any help, this is my first accident and i have no clue what to do. Thanks
ndanforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
ttocsmij
AF Newbie

Re: rear axle damage on 04 XL7

To ensure that vehicle is returned to proper operating condition, you must engage the services of a fully-equipped body shop with a modern chassis fixturing machine (and someone who knows how to use it properly) that is willing to track down all the FACTORY dimensional data for the Suzuki chassis and body work so that all alignment points of the body AND chassis are in proper relationship. This will require removal of the drive train and key interior parts. Once the body and chassis are back to factory spec (and stay there), the drive train and interior parts removed earlier can be re-attached (ASSUMING they are functional AND line up properly). ANY parts that don't line up should be replaced.

What this means in real life is that if you want to make sure it drives like it did before, you need to make sure the shop YOU select is willing to put the time and effort into making sure EVERYTHING lines up properly with FACTORY specifications and diagrams. A cheap shop will NEVER be able to do this. Even the Dealer may not have a suitable facility. The shop doing the work should warranty that the finished product will match the FACTORY-specified alignment specs after a computerized four-wheel alignment at an independent facility. If they don't trust their work, you shouldn't either.

Good luck.
ttocsmij is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > XL-7