Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
SynikalFan
AF Newbie

Engine Swap for 914

do you think it would be a good idea to replace the stock 914 engine with a 911 v6 3.0L if i remember correctly. yes im a noob at this forum, but give me some feedback. thx
SynikalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 AM   #2
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Re: Engine Swap for 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynikalFan
do you think it would be a good idea to replace the stock 914 engine with a 911 v6 3.0L if i remember correctly. yes im a noob at this forum, but give me some feedback. thx
Where to start!

The 911 uses a horizontally opposed six cylinder engine, it's not a V6. Imagine taking the Vee shape, and flattening it out so the banks are flat on the ground, on either side of the crankshaft.

Swapping the engine isn't hard, you can buy kits with everything you need, and it doesn't cost all that much. Depending on how much power the new engine makes, you might want to upgrade your brakes, suspension and tires as well.

The 3.0 liter engine came with the 911SC, from the late 70s. The engines are fairly cheap, but not especially powerful. What are your goals with the car?

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
SynikalFan
AF Newbie

What are my goals? I just grabbed this 914 from a friend of mine and he told me i have alot of work to do. I need to throw in a new starter, probly new air filter, and i need to replace the brake pads. I was wondering about the 911 engine because my dad was telling me that if we swapped the engine, it would be hard to catch. I doubt that, but i bet it would be alot better than stock. what do you think?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
It really depends on what 911 engine you get. You can get a stock 914 down to around 2200lbs pretty easily, at which point a 200hp 3.0 engine or a 275hp 3.6 engine will really make the car move. If you're serious about weight reduction, you can streetably get the car under 2000lbs. The car would be quite quick in a straight line, and with a little suspension work and some good tires, there isn't much that can keep up with a 914 in the corners.

There are other options than the 911 engines as well, people have done smallblock V8s, Subaru flat 4s, Mazda rotaries, I even saw a 928 V8 swapped in once.

I think a 3.0 911SC engine is a good place to start. They're fairly common, not as expensive as other motors, very reliable, and they make an honest 200hp stock. With a bit of work, you can get more out of them too.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
SynikalFan
AF Newbie

thanx for your ideas and opinions
Old 06-04-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
Cbass
AF Fanatic

I sent you a PM with links to a few vendors you might want to get in contact with. Cheers!

Old 06-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
MrIhop
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MrIhop
Thumbs up

I have a '74 914 that's 95% rust free. I bought the car specifically to install a small block Chevy V8. I'm getting my parts from Las Vegas from a company called Renegade Hybrids. I plan on having the parts needed and installing the engine in a few months. Their webpage is http://www.renegadehybrids.com and they do V8 conversions for other Porsche models as well. I chose the 914 for the mid-engine design, and the fact you don't ever see them on the road. The project will be relatively inexpensive sinse a 300 horse 914 can't be outrun or outhandled by very many cars out there. The engine ran for a month after I bought the car, and it was a blast ripping around the corners even though bicycles could outrun me from a stoplight with the 1.8L 4 cylinder in the car at the time. I live in California, and the smog laws are any model 1975 or older is not required to pass smog. Yes, that is my car pictured below.

Don't let anyone tell you it's the wrong path to go V8 in a 914 as long as you deal with Renegade Hybrids. They've been in the business for a long time, and have the bugs worked out. I believe they are at Laguna Seca today trying out their 500 horse 914 on the track there.

MrIhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Renegade Hybrids has a good reputation, they used to do a V8 kit for the 924, although they stopped selling them because it required a complete drivetrain swap from a 944, and that was just too expensive for 924 owners.

I considered the V8 route for a 914, but I came to the conclusion that I would rather emphasize handling and braking over straight line speed, and that a 3.6 liter 964 or 993 engine massaged to around 300hp would be a better choice for my application, although considerably more expensive, at around $6K. My reservations about swapping watercooled engines in is that they are generally heavier than the air cooled units Porsche uses, and you have to add a radiator, coolant and all of the plumbing, which adds a lot of weight.

A smallblock Chevy is typically 450-600lbs, even an aluminum radiator weighs 20-30lbs, 20lbs of coolant to keep it cooled, another 10-20lbs for the plumbing to get the water to the front of the car, vs a 300lb engine that cools itself.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
TheLastMember
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to TheLastMember Send a message via Yahoo to TheLastMember
Question 914-6 Turbo

Oi, Ive Been considering purchasing a 914 in the very near future, and I'd like to know is it possible to Swap out the flat 4 with a 3.0 flat turbo 6?

And if so do ya have any ifo on it?

Ive Got a thing for the Turbo 6's, i have a red 72 datsun 510 wagon runing a 3.0 Turbo v-6
TheLastMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
93 Rx7
AF Newbie

I am building a 70 914 V8 and like the idea of having lots of torque. I just sold my 93 Rx7 Twin turbo and just didn't like the power curve of that engine package.
Most all 914 conversion use a stock-ish 5 speed (901 trans) and its really not strong enough to use all the power. You can't hammer the trans or it will likely disintegrate. I'm not knocking the setup as they do run well if your smart about shifting and applying power.
I am using a 930 transmission which will hold just about anything I can throw at it. They are built for 700 hp and 350 ft.torque. My engine will likely put out a tick over 400 hp or so. I also have 930 suspension and brakes.I agree since the car is heavier you need more rubber to maintain handling but overall its really up to your preferences.I have talked to guys who have both a stock 914 and V8 and they say you can't throw the V8 cars around like the stock engine packages. I hope to have on the road in a few months.

Last edited by 93 Rx7; 05-20-2005 at 10:05 AM.
93 Rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
dumb_drummer2006
AF Newbie

i have a 71 914 im puting a v8 in and was wondering about the 915 transaxle does any one know how hard its is to install and does any one make a kit for if=t or do i have to make it my self?
dumb_drummer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Racer729
AF Newbie

i have a 72 porsche 914 and im looking to replace the stock 1.7l with a 2.1l.

Although this 2110cc engine has big vavle heads with a .5 lift and .3 duration, will it still pass emissions?
Racer729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Wind In my Hair
Banned

Questions re Porsche

I have been looking for this car for a couple months online for a Porsche Lease and i found this Lease company that i ordered my porsche through they were able to find me the exact car i was looking for.
I am a picky person i wanted some hard things to find and they found it for me thier Residual value and prices were great. if you have time check out this site and let me know what you think about it.
Here is the Link to the Lease Please reply let me know what you think
Wind In my Hair is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914