Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
American_car_lover
AF Newbie

American big cars

I am a fan of older American cars ; those with really huge chassis. Chevrolet impala , caprice classic , Buick Le Sabre...you get the drift. I like them of the 60's & 70's period. The bigger the car , the more I like it.

Last year I was lured into buying a wimpy 1984 Pontiac Phoenix .It's a lovely car but so very small for my taste. I still crave one of those giant lizards that they made back then.

My question , what are the biggest cars of this period?. I would try & fish for one.
American_car_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: American big cars

Most of the early 60's GM B-bodies are the biggest land barges of them all. I have a 66 Bonneville that is very long. The caddys all had a couple inches on the rest of the GMs, but usually at a premium cost.

73-76 caddy devilles are not the longest, but they have a more massive appearance from the shape of the fenders and the long hood.

60s Mopars are HUGE. The Newport/300 and cars like the Monaco and Fury are big suckers. The early 60s were called fuselage cars and the late 60s switched to what we call slab sides... so named for their huge sides. The lines and curves were pretty straight the whole way back giving them a grand appearance.

Check out wagons, too. They add more metal and usually a few more inches. They are sweet rides. Here are a couple sites:

www.stationwagon.com/gallery/gallery.html
http://carnut.com/photo/list/

Good sites with pictures. check out the 64 Dodge 880 on the wagon site. Talk about lots of metal
Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: American big cars

I can vouch for mid 70's devilles feeling huge, the front seat is like a couch and steering it feels like your maneuvering a ship.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A