Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
matthewmatics
AF Newbie

Strange things...

I purchased a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 a couple months ago. Shortly thereafter, I was pulling out onto a highway and had to accelerate quicker than I normally would to avoid a car. Almost immediately my check engine light came on and a rich gasoline smell was coming from my tailpipe. I wasn't able to get it checked out immediately, and the smell began to worsen over the next few days. Black smoke began coming out, my gas milage plummeted to around 7mpg, and at the worst moments, black dust would shoot out of the pipe. I took it to a trusted shop ASAP, and they replaced my thermostat and said that the engine had been running too cool, which I had noticed. Everything was fine. About a week later, I accelerated quickly again, and everything started over: black smoke, rich gasoline smell, horrible gas milage. I took it back and the mechanic ran a diagnostic, but said he didn't know what was wrong. The strange thing: he reset the computer while I was there, and when I left the vehicle ran perfect. No smoke, good milage, etc. It ran great for about two weeks, then I went out of town and it sat for about 5 days. Upon the next startup it ran sluggish, and about 2 miles down the road, all of the symptoms returned! Any ideas on this madness?
matthewmatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
PAMUSTANGMAN
AF Newbie

Re: Strange things...

Sounds like your Catalytic converter is blocking up. Or your fuel pressure regulator is dumping too much fuel?
PAMUSTANGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
black , jeep , mileage , poor , smoke
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8