Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

A weird smell and water or gas out of the Pipes

I just recently replaced the thermostat and after i cranked it up it started to smell like either sewer or something terible i can't describe it and i'm almost positive it was coming from the truck but when i was revving it it started shooting out either gas or water from the tail pipes i couldn't tell it was in a field and i've been getting terrible gas mileage i put in about $30.00 in gas and got about 100 miles out of it. I've put in a good synthetic replaced alot of the filters pcv valve alot of stuff i've only had it about 1 month its an 88 350 any help would be appreciated its just not running like when i bought it. Thanks
biglogonafrogbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
amac209
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to amac209
Re: A weird smell and water or gas out of the Pipes

is the rad full? and is the engine coolant sensor plugged in?
amac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

yeah its completley full and connected i'm almost positive its not that
Old 03-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Any other comments
Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Water out the tailpipe is normal. The hyrdocarbons in the gas combine during combustion to make H2O. For every gallon of gas burned, 1 gallon of water is produced. If it's pouring out, some of it is probably unburned gas. You could collect a sample of it and see if it will burn. If it does, there is WAY TOO MUCH gas in it.

How long since a tuneup? Hitting on all cylinders?
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

It had a tune up one month ago i did it just after i bought it i've been reading some on the forum and i'm thinking its the Catalytic Converter I think i'm just going to saw it off and put a straight type until i can afford a high flow one. Would my gas mileage be better with it off and what about power its a 1988 with 175000 miles on it any info would be appreciated thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
chevytrucks92
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglogonafrogbig
It had a tune up one month ago i did it just after i bought it i've been reading some on the forum and i'm thinking its the Catalytic Converter I think i'm just going to saw it off and put a straight type until i can afford a high flow one. Would my gas mileage be better with it off and what about power its a 1988 with 175000 miles on it any info would be appreciated thanks
I was gettin ready to suggest its probably your converter stopped up. By taking it off, you will notice an increase in power, however you'll loose back pressure and this will evcentually get the valves.

Also, your truck will be louder then LOUD with straight pipes, so don't be suprised if you get pulled everytime you meet/see a cop.

355 SBC, Turbo 400, 5.13 gear, IHRA Certified to 8.50 in the 1/4
Last Race (10-6-07) So its been awhile...
Dial: 6.77, RT: -.0001, 60': 1.4360, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph
Fastest Pass of '07 (10-6-07)
60': 1.4360, 330': 4.3453, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph

25 and in BIG TIME Debt Crew member #2
Deuce's Wild Racing: Take a Ride on the WILD SIDE
chevytrucks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
Cadillakin'98
AF Regular

Have you drivin the truck after you changed the thermostat? Just wondering if the smell is indeed coming from your truck or possibly just something near where you parked. If it is in fact coming from your truck, does it have more like a rotten egg type smell? If so, 99.9% sure it is your catalytic converter. Don't have the scientific reason like J-Ri, burt he is right that water in the tail pipe is common. I just always thought it was condensation. Guess we do learn something everyday!
Cadillakin'98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

I was looking at the converter and it was bolted on so i assume it has been replaced since it wasn't welded so then i thought to check the o2 sensor and we worked on it for about 1 hour but we couldn't get it to budge any tips on removing this and could it be the problem thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #10
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

LOTS and LOTS of penetrating oil...
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
joe92k1500
AF Regular

The O2 sensor could be part of the problem. You may have to heat it up to free the O2 sensor. Either let it run for a while or carefully use a torch. Should come out then. make sure to use anti-seize lube on the new one.
joe92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
neuroplague
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to neuroplague
Re: Re: A weird smell and water or gas out of the Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillakin'98
Have you drivin the truck after you changed the thermostat? Just wondering if the smell is indeed coming from your truck or possibly just something near where you parked. If it is in fact coming from your truck, does it have more like a rotten egg type smell? If so, 99.9% sure it is your catalytic converter. Don't have the scientific reason like J-Ri, burt he is right that water in the tail pipe is common. I just always thought it was condensation. Guess we do learn something everyday!

I just changed my O2 sensor last week. I have a 91 1500 and that was the original rusty sensor. What I did to get it off was to drive the truck until the pipe was really hot then I hit it with a good dose of PB Blaster and waited about 10 or 15 minutes. Remember to put on gloves before you try to wrench it off..... I Used an adjustable wrench and put some weight on it and it spun right off. Also if you havent done so already, check your EGR valve. The diaphram inside of it might not be holding vacuum, mine was shot too and cost about $55 bucks to replace. I would suggest you check all the vacuum lines to make sure they are not leaking and check the flow out of the injectors to make sure they are not spraying unevenly. If they are they might be clogged or the fuel pressure regulator might be in need of a rebuild. The pain in the ass about all computer controlled vehicals is one sensor can confuse the hell out of the computer. I have been trying to pass inspection on my truck for the past 2 weeks and it is costing me a small fortune in parts my HC was 4.30 and it should be 1.60 I am almost done and the exhaust is smelling so much better now.
neuroplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

I finally got it off i had to break it off to allow an exact socket to fit over the nut then i put a big pipe over the wrench and got it that way when i got it out it was green does that mean anything but the new one i put in wouldn't screw in all the way i got it as close as i could but it wouldn't go any further would that hurt its readings at all it needs about 3 more full turns i felt down there and i don't think its leaking any air but any more info would be appreciated thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Cadillakin'98
AF Regular

If it didn't go on easily, there is a good posability that it didn't seal properly which I would think could affect the readings since there would be an "exhaust leak"-even though it would be very minor, it would still be an "exhaust leak" which might even effect back pressure.
Cadillakin'98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
72 rs
AF Regular

the cat on all early gm trucks were bolted on. if its about 2 1/2 - 3 ft long and about 2 ft wide, then its probable the factory cat. or atleast replaced with afactory one, dosent sound like it though. i drive an 87 with 223,000 plus miles on it and i took my cat off about 4 years ago. i havent had any probs with it yet, and if you have any type of aftermarket muffler on it it will be considerably louder. one good way to tell if its cloged is to drive it, if it feels like it just wouldent get out of its own way if it fell off a cliff then it may be cloged.
72 rs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K