Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
trickyuk
AF Newbie

New Navara 4WD Hi problem

(I think this is a problem, but a bit of a 4x4 newbie)

I've had my Navara for about 2 weeks and am getting familiar with its features and handling. Very impressed so far.

However, if I select 4WD Hi, for example, the car feels like I need to press the accelerator more to get going - as though there is a a lot of 'engine braking' going on. Is this normal? (I used to have a Lexus RX300 which was permanent 'so called' 4WD, and it never felt like this).

Also, when I disengage 4WD mode, the rear wheels seem to lock up (or something like that - not confirmed yet) and the car will not move off properly until I turn off the engine then start it up again. When I do disengage 4WD, the indicator flashes all four wheels constantly - if I put it back to 4WD Hi, the flashing stops, but its that feeling that the rear wheels are locked. I am pretty sure that I should be able to switch from 2WD to 4WD mode and back again when driving normally, which I have tried, but this also happens when I am stationary.

I assumie that either 1) I am not doing it right, or 2) there is a malfunction. I haven't yet had a chance to call the dealers, but I don't want to completely embarass myself if I am overlooking something major - I have read the manual many times and can't seem to find an explanation for what I am experiencing.

Am I stupid?
trickyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
nissantech
AF Newbie

Re: New Navara 4WD Hi problem

Hi, first off you need to read your owners manual, all the drive chain is explained in there.
4WD HIGH will give you more engine braking and a poor turning circle, this is due to the friction caused by the drive. Normal.
4WD LOW, this is for pure power (torgue) loads of revs with no speed.
After you have engaged 4WD this will engage the front free wheel hubs (this allows all 4 wheels to rotate at the same speed) when you return to 2WD you will have to drive the car about 3-6 feet in reverse, this will disengage the free wheel hubs, and allow you to drive normally. hope this answers your question.
If you have no worning lights flashing on the dash and the display shows the selected gear you will not have a fault. Here in the UK we have had some faulty units, may be worth a dealer visit just to check fault codes. It is covered by warranty.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara