Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fusion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
expjoe
AF Newbie

Bad Battery??

I have a 2009 Ford Fusion with 45,000 miles on it and it is highway driven daily 60 miles round trip. I went to start it yesterday after work and it would not turn over and required a jump. Drove home fine, no charging lights came on at all. Got home, shut it off and it would not start again. Checked it with a volt meter and it read 10.5 volts. performed load test and it shows weak battery. However the car starts now (slow turning over) and the battery indicator light shows red. I am thinking it has a short and the intense heat we have had here has contributed. Any other things I should consider? I did check the output of the alternator and it is within spec.
expjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bad Battery??

If it's readiing 10.5, replace it.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aleekat For This Useful Post:
expjoe (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
expjoe
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
If it's readiing 10.5, replace it.

I took it to the auto parts store and they tested it and everything checked out ok. I did take it out of the car and put it back in, so I am not sure if i had a bad connection either. If it happens again I will know it has a bad plate or at least a short somewhere in the battery. Again no charging lights came on or anything.
expjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
CnlK
AF Regular

Having a similar problem, car wouldn't turn over two mornings in a row. Charged battery and brought to advance auto. Their test showed battery was "marginal", not healthy and not poor. Replaced battery as it was almost six years old. Car does have a parasitic draw of .11 amp or 110 milliamps. Does anybody know what an acceptable parasitic draw is? Thought 20 milliamps was acceptable. Charging system seems OK, 14 volts under load.

Given somemore time, the draw drops to 8ma, We'll see if new battery solves the problem.

After 6 days all is good.

Last edited by CnlK; 11-09-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: update
CnlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
TaurusKing
AF Regular

20 sounds good, of course open the door the pcm wakes up for a few secs, draw will go up. I'm thinking maybe 30 would be like max. Anything that stays up higher consistently should checked. Do that by pulling fuses one at a time. Had to do that on my kid's 98 Taurus. A cassette tape stuck in the factory radio ended up pulling 75-80 ma all the time, weird. I think the eject mechanism was powered on by the stuck tape. Ended up replacing the whole unit, pretty easy found one on ebay.
TaurusKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by expjoe View Post
I took it to the auto parts store and they tested it and everything checked out ok. I did take it out of the car and put it back in, so I am not sure if i had a bad connection either. If it happens again I will know it has a bad plate or at least a short somewhere in the battery. Again no charging lights came on or anything.
How could they have tested it "OK" if it was reading 10.5 v?Battery has to be fully charged for a proper test.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote