Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fusion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
retrohwam
AF Newbie

Noise coming from front end

Purchased a 2007 Fusion – SEL, 6 cyl, 2WD, 85K – about 5 months ago. Since the weather has gotten warmer (live in Mississippi) I have a alarming noise coming from what seems to be the driver's side front suspension. The noise (sounds like an old hay wagon) happens when:
1) driving straight and when the car travels over uneven pavement;
2) when turning a corner, most pronounced at slower speeds;
3) when braking right at the stop get louder;
4) when I at a stop and turn the wheel back and forth
Have had a couple of mornings where the temperature was in the upper 50s/low 60s and could drive to work with no noise at all but if it warmed up coming home I would hear the noise.

I raised the left front end and removed the tire and could not see anywhere something might have be rubbing; no obvious missing parts or joints that were loose enough for me to move and the CV boots are intact.

I'm thinking a bad strut but that is an expensive trial/error replacement.

Any help would be appreciated identifying the problem or suggestions for additional troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Duane
retrohwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
spire-32
AF Newbie

Re: Noise coming from front end

sounds like a wheel bearing is bad....
spire-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

What are my chances this noise has been fixed and Duane will see this post and update the thread? My sister in law has a 2006 Fusion and she's complaining of a noise in the front that, based on her description, sounds like either sway bar bushings (I hope not) or sway bar end links. I'm not sure what an old hay wagon sounds like, but if they rattle and sound like something is loose in the front end, I guess that's similar to the noise she's experiencing.

She's going to drive it up and have me take a look at the car, but if others have had issues with end links, I'd like to get them on order since apparently none of the parts stores here stock them. The bushings look like a real PITA to change according to the factory service manual.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
TaurusKing
AF Regular

I've had issues lately with bad bearing plates on the struts, one strut was brand new, bad out of the box. Usually they make a noise over the slightest bump or road imperfection, I would back out of driveway into street, transition from driveway to street would cause a knock. Process of elimination. Also have had bad swaybar link bushings, usually rattle pretty good.Definitely a different sound. Son's Ford 500 had both front plates replaced by dealer, less then 30k miles on car. Bad stuff.
TaurusKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Thanks, I'll keep the strut plates in mind. They look like they'd be less difficult to change out than the anti-sway bar bushings (I have a spring compressor).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
youngnwiaguy
AF Newbie

Have you figured out the issue yet? I have a 2007 Fusion that is doing pretty much the same thing. I've already replaced the upper control arm and it didn't take care of the problem, now they think it's my lower control arm which will cost twice as much. I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to fix it. My mechanic said he's not sure where it's coming from but is 90% sure the lower control arm will fix it. He said everything looks tight and fine, so he's really unsure and to just drive it. It's too annoying to just keep driving as is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
youngnwiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
cadoss
AF Newbie

has anyone figured this rattling noise out yet?? i have a 2011 4cyl and its making this same noise that everyone is describing. my mechanic cant figure it out, but did not have time to look at it as long as he needed. I only have 71k miles and my powertrain warranty has run out...go figure! also does not start noise until the car is warmed up. weird! help
cadoss is offline   Reply With Quote