Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
mmichel
AF Newbie

#6 misfire

Hi, I'm new to the board, and I hope someone can help me out. I got a blinking check engine light that turned out to be a #6 misfire code (read by AutoZone). After more diagnostics from a local garage it appeared to be a faulty fuel injector (no pressure at idle). After replacing the # 6 injector, I find myself with the same problem. While driving the car is fine. Let the car idle for more the a couple of minutes and the car starts to hesitate and the check engine light comes back on (and stays on). Once I'm back underway the car starts running fine again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I should mention that I have a 2000 Sable LS, 24v duratech with 54000 miles.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
mmichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Id look into your plugs wires, plug, and coil pack.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Mshadytwin
AF Newbie

I own a 2001 Sable LS with 41k miles. I actually have had the same symptoms that you seem to be having or had. When I would pull up to a stop (in park or drive) and after a few seconds maybe up to a minute the car would seem to miss and the check engine light would begin to flash. As soon as I started driving and after maybe 20 ft. the car would run fun and the check engine light would then stay on solid but after a day or two it would turn off. But, every time I would let it idle in park or in drive the same symptoms would occur again.
The car has been to two different shops. The code was coming up as a misfire on # 4. The EGR valve, coil pack, plugs, and plug wires have all been replaced. I do not know what is next. Have you had any success since you have posted your question????? Thank you. This is my first Mercury and my first experience with them.
Mshadytwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
poppasmurf57
AF Newbie

Sable misfire

I have a 2001 Sable with 83K miles. The same problem started at about 67K miles and started suddenly. One day it was not there, the next day it was. I had it to a Mercury dealer shop three times. The diagnosis was a misfire on the #2 cylinder all three times. The first time, the shop replaced the spark plug in the #2 cylinder. The problem went away for about two days and returned. The second time, spark plug wires were replaced. The problem returned after about 5K miles. The third time, I am told that the problem is due to low compression, "sticking valves" and the heads need to be replaced. This was diagnosed by doing a compression test. The car is now out of warranty. Because the problem started when the car was under an extended warranty, up to 75K miles, and the cost of replacing the heads is significant, $4,000.00, I am pursuing warranty coverage with Ford. I have been told by friends that the low compression could also be due to a failed head gasket.
poppasmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Big Cliff
AF Newbie

Wink Re: #6 misfire

Plug wires
Big Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Pipeplug
AF Newbie

Re: #6 misfire

I have a "03" LS 24 Duratech and it had almost identical issues. I replaced plugs, plug wires and the coil pack. I did all because the intake plenum has to be removed to get to the back three plugs and the coil pack. Only wanted to do that once. Easy enough just have better things to do with my time.
Pipeplug is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable