Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
FALCON z
AF Newbie

05 silverado 4wd/tach issues

This got me stumped and frustrated. Started out with the service 4wd message. I replaced the selector switch but for the first time it didn't fix the problem. Next I checked the frame ground wires under driver door. Finally I took to the dealership. They charged me $99 to diagnose the issue. They had it in the bay all day which makes me wonder if they are responsible the next symptom. When they finally brought my truck around they said they finally got the 4wd selector switch button lights to come back on after testing the switches voltages. (I never had an problem with those lights). They said the switch was good and everything points to the tccm. The switch lights were off and on for 2 days until they started staying on again but then tach started bouncing under load. Up and down about 1000 rpms distance. After all this I replaced the tccm with a re-manufactured preprogrammed unit. That did not fixed anything. Then last night i noticed that buckling my seat belt / stopping seat belt light blinking in cluster, stops the bouncing tach. Until i press the gas.

In short, I have service 4wd and bouncing tach. Tried replacing 4wd switch, checking ground wires, replaced tccm. Bouncing tach did start until I took to dealership. Any ideals what to try next?
FALCON z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 05 silverado 4wd/tach issues

this is a great example of why I always tell people never bring in a vehicle this old to the dealership .. they did mess this up so you will buy a new truck that is how it works . I did work at dealership a chevy one ..dancing with the devil . and on your TCCM they will break it or put in a bad one so they can make a big profit. that rarely fails . service manager makes his income on % of the repair work . 4wd light on then what are the drive train codes ?????????????? post here when you get them. the tach could be a bad engine ground check all the ground wires and engine connections. look at the PCM check all the connectors to it for wiring/corrosion on the connector pins etc .. corrosion green color. the wires to and at the transfer case are very fragile so be careful when handling them also make sure they are covered with the plastic loom .. good luck............
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Wow! jcAT ur point on. Their very next statement after telling me the problems they had and what they thought was wrong was "I thought u bought a new truck". U definitely know how they work.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
FALCON z
AF Newbie

I'll get the codes. They are supposed to look at it for free next week. Makes me wonder if I should even take the chance. U bet I will trying to fix it before though. Yesterday I disconnected the battery for a bit. When I installed the new tccm I only pulled the fuse. See if I get the service 4wd message comes back. Tach still jumping. Supposedly the dealership had to call tech support about my truck while they had it.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z View Post
I'll get the codes. They are supposed to look at it for free next week. Makes me wonder if I should even take the chance. U bet I will trying to fix it before though. Yesterday I disconnected the battery for a bit. When I installed the new tccm I only pulled the fuse. See if I get the service 4wd message comes back. Tach still jumping. Supposedly the dealership had to call tech support about my truck while they had it.
these older year models are much better than the 2007 and newer so I would suggest you try to fix it and do the proper maintenance to keep it as long as possible.
don't beat it drive it carefully because , a new truck is very expensive and not long lasting . I still have my 2000 silverado much better than the new trucks .
I only use synthetic fluids in all my vehicles .
Old 01-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Plan on keeping this one. Had GM rebuild the motor for free at 75,000 miles when the newer body styles where being rebuilt because of oil consumption because it started using a little oil itself. It should last for a while.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Yes, service 4wd came back also.

Invoice states:
C0327. Completed circuit tests. Tccm has output function failure. Recommend Tccm and programming.

I really don't think they found anything wrong with the tccm. They told me the switch checked out so it most likely is the tccm.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Ok...Also now getting check washer fluid message when it's full. Took to autozone and I've got code P0650 showing up. Malfunction Indicator Lamp Circuit Malfunction
Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

now the DTC C0327 is a drive train code to be found , using a scan tool that can read GM drive train codes. this code is 95% of the time the encoder motor NOT the TCCM [ transfer case control module ].... the encoder motor is about $100.... some have found these for $75.. not too hard to do .. but not easy ... the most important thing is do not stress out those wires to it they break easy...make sure loom covers those wires because many have had shorts due to the casting wearing into the wires so loom covering is a must..

THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID SHOULD BE BLUE A TRAC II GM DEALERSHIP FLUID . IF NOT THEN THIS MAYBE THE PROBLEM OR WHY IT DID FAIL.

do not over tighten these drain fill plugs this housing breaks easy its a soft metal ..15ft lbs max...
Old 01-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
FALCON z
AF Newbie

I found the electrical problem in the cluster causing the tach and notification issues. A wire was hooked around the cluster connector, pulling itself out of the connector enough to not make a good connection. This was causing the tach to jump and washer fluid message every startup. 3 days no notifications. Will wait to see if 4wd message reappears.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I would check the transfer case fluid because bad fluid will cause the encoder DTC to throw randomly at first then over time it will stay on and no 4WD. should be checked at every oil change . blue color ..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado