Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
kenman1717
AF Regular

Question about updated front axle seal on 2003 silverado

I have to replace the axle seals and pinion seal on my '03 Silverado. I've had the seals for a couple years, haven't got around to doing them, they have only been seeping, you know typical mechanic, always fixing other peoples vehicles and not their own.

I noticed all three had puked out and my diff was low a litre, so I figured it was time to change them and clean the vent. Couldn't remember which ones they were in my pile of spare parts for like 4 different trucks all different body styles and years.

so I got the part number from the dealer, they gave me 22761722, didn't have that one, but I have seals 12479012 and 15801507. did a search online and 12479012 updates to 15801507 and finally to 22761722. apparently 22761722 covers from 1997 to 2015. doing some reading online, the 22761722 is a 2 piece seal and there have been problems with it in pre 2007 trucks with it leaking and should use the 15801507.

so I guess my question is, has anyone experienced problems with the newest updated one, should I return them and just use the other ones. I know I have changed them in a '15 and the thing came apart with half on the axle stub and half still in the diff. I never had that problem with the older 1 piece seals.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Question about updated front axle seal on 2003 silverado

I have installed several of the updated seals and have had no repeat visits for leaks. Be sure to install them in the correct direction. There is a small stamp on them that says :air side", that side faces out.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Question about updated front axle seal on 2003 silverado

many years ago I had some weeping at those points all 3 of them on the front diff. input and the 2 outputs. 2000 silverado 4WD. I do change the diff fluids often .. when new . the front diff it was not looking all that good on the gear oil so I changed it often like 5k miles . when I noticed after 20K miles that the seals where weeping not dripping I added 1 OZ of engine oil stop leak made by BARS.

been about a decade 175K miles still looks good. every time I do the gear oil change I add it in .. do the drive train 40K miles no problems but new the front diff had a wear / break in issue so I replaced the front diff gear oil 3X the first 20K miles.

using the vin# I would guess you should have no problem getting parts but GM is a screwed up company now so it is possible they lost all the data on your vehicle in the Bankruptcy .

I just bought a brake line set for my truck at dealer ship one of the 5 brake lines was the wrong one.. must be a china communication problem..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado