Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #181
injecting
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to injecting
Tester Airbrush

Well I was just at my local hobbyshop when i came across a airbrush when i started looking at it i saw it was testers and i wasnt sure if i should get it so before i get it I want to know your guy opinoin on it. I forgot excalty what it is ill take another drive up there tommarow and see but like i said what do you guys think of testers? Yes i looked around for faq's on this and couldnt find any so dont flame me.
injecting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 PM   #182
geofroley
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to geofroley
I wouldn't get it. Get a Badger or Paasche or Tamiya (If you can afford it).

EDIT: Iwatas are good too.
geofroley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #183
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Tester Airbrush

Take a look at this big thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=201005

Testor Airbrush are pure waste of money
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #184
Okiemodelbuilder
AF Regular

I realize that there was a big long thread about airbrushes with many replies of how crappy Testors airbrushes are. Most of airbrushing, or any painting for that matter, has as much to do with technique as it does equipment. This model below was painted by a buddy of mine with the cheapest external mix Testors airbrush you can get.

He uses HOK paints and automotive urethane clear. Believe it or not, he rarely has to polish any of his models. He is able to paint with virtually no texture or orange peel. He used to paint 1:1 cars for a living.

Here's another of his models:

His paint is nothing short of amazing. I also have two Testors airbrushes, one of the cheapies and an Aztek A320 single action internal mix. I like the A320 much more than the cheapie but I use it more.

I have also seen great paint jobs straight out of a can of Testors. You can spend big bucks on an airbrush but it will not guarantee a great finish.

The December 2004 issue of Scale Auto has a buyers guide on single action airbrushes. The next issue will cover dual action airbrushes.

I say buy the Testors and learn how to use it. They are easy to use and easy to maintain. Use it awhile before you spend big $$$ on something else.

Marc

...the pro touring experts
Okiemodelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:55 AM   #185
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

Testors ?? Use a straw (McCain juice box: 99$) and a blower (35$) and you'll be on your way. Don't waste precious money to deal with Airbrushes that are toys. If you buy something, go for something that worth it.

Go see the thread Vric send... there's a long story about that.
Martbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:04 AM   #186
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiemodelbuilder
... He is able to paint with virtually no texture or orange peel. He used to paint 1:1 cars for a living....
Huuuum, That could help a little don't you think ???
Maybe Testors have nothing to do with his results.
And look at all those boxes... is it a hobby store ??!! Maybe the guy who did those cars have 30 years of experience and maybe he can spray decent paint with a windex spraying bottle. So don't count on Testors to give you this finish, the guy is already a pro.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #187
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Re: Tester Airbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martbee
Testors ?? Use a straw (McCain juice box: 99$) and a blower (35$) and you'll be on your way.
good one mart
Old 10-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #188
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ImolaEK
Re: Re: Re: Tester Airbrush

Okiemodelbuilder: Your friend's paints look awesome!!! Technique is always very important. But i gotta admit sometimes expensive stuff do give you what you paid for.

On the other hand,

I painted my two new models that just arrived from HLJ with my airbrush. I decided to drain some Dupli Color Honda Artic Silver Metallic. Did it the easy way, take a straw and spray through it onto a little cup. At first the mist coats went on perfect! But then out of no where i started getting little debris. Im not sure if it came from the airbrush or from outside since i was painting outside. What might it have been? The paint was incredibly thinned straight out of the can, so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.(I guess)

Also bought some Klean Strip Lacquer Thinner< Smells like sh*t

PS:I am thinking about buying the Crown Cap; What good does it do?
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
ImolaEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:47 PM   #189
Okiemodelbuilder
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tester Airbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB26DETT-GTR
I painted my two new models that just arrived from HLJ with my airbrush. I decided to drain some Dupli Color Honda Artic Silver Metallic. Did it the easy way, take a straw and spray through it onto a little cup. At first the mist coats went on perfect! But then out of no where i started getting little debris. Im not sure if it came from the airbrush or from outside since i was painting outside. What might it have been? The paint was incredibly thinned straight out of the can, so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.(I guess)

Also bought some Klean Strip Lacquer Thinner< Smells like sh*t

PS:I am thinking about buying the Crown Cap; What good does it do?
Sounds like dirt from outside to me. Also, what is a Crown Cap?

...the pro touring experts
Okiemodelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #190
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Agree with above... dirt !

The crown cap is certainly the nozzle with the crown like design. It's supposed to give you greater control of the spray, finer atomisation and finner line spray if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what price is this item but if not too pricy, go for it and give us your impression. I think you'll have a slight improvement but it won't change your Airbrush from top to bottom. Iwata is still Iwata ! Best is the best and I think modeling don't need a such precise killing machine. If you have other uses in your head for this airbrush (fine art) then it defenetely worth it. Or else, you're trying to kill a ladybug with an ERMA SR100 (*snipper riffle) in a 10 foot range buddy !
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #191
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martbee
Agree with above... dirt !

The crown cap is certainly the nozzle with the crown like design. It's supposed to give you greater control of the spray, finer atomisation and finner line spray if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what price is this item but if not too pricy, go for it and give us your impression. I think you'll have a slight improvement but it won't change your Airbrush from top to bottom. Iwata is still Iwata ! Best is the best and I think modeling don't need a such precise killing machine. If you have other uses in your head for this airbrush (fine art) then it defenetely worth it. Or else, you're trying to kill a ladybug with an ERMA SR100 (*snipper riffle) in a 10 foot range buddy !

Yea, I'll check up on the price and if my dad buys it for me then i'll get it. Lol, I use my airbrush for art also. Have done already 3 Tee shirts with graffiti on them for some fellow friends and for some car drawings. I believe Chip Foose uses an Iwata also since the nozzle/cap of his looked like the one Iwata's use when they showed him in Overhaulin. But his is gravity feed...Man i want a gravity feed airbrush now.

Is Campbell Hausfeld a good brand for spray guns because i saw some very cheap priced spray guns by them in Walmart.

I need a spray booth.

I could go on and on and on and on, on all the things i want/need!
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 10-31-2004, 06:03 PM   #192
ImolaEK
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Well i went today to the art store. I bought a 1oz bottle for my Iwata but also found out that the Paasche VL 1/4oz. Metal Color Cup is compatible to my Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS. To verify this there was actually someone working in the store with the same exact airbrush as me and the VL Color Cup on it. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the VL Color Cups so tomorrow i'll go to the other art store hoping to find one. This color cup is very different. Its almost like gravity feed, very cool.

The Metal Color Cup is the one all the way to the left.
joehamc2k3@yahoo.com

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/joeham
Old 11-01-2004, 06:05 AM   #193
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

I don't really think Campbell & H. is a fine Spary gun (let say medium quality) but it always depend on what you're going to do with it. Almost all my airtools are from them (C&H) and they do what they're supposed to but they aren't pro tools (Magtools and so on are far better)...

My Spray Gun is from Devilbiss and if you're going to do some automotive 1:1 paint, I couldn't recommendent it enough. It's a nice tool to work with and it's gravity feed . Go for the "PLUS" Spray Gun which is the topline of the Spray Gun... it's like the IWATA Micron of the Spray Gun... I know you know what I mean ! But there's a price to pay to hold technoligie and craftmanship in a single package.

For the little metal cup, when I work with my Anthem (Badger 155), I always work with this kind of cup. A good little gizmo that can be charged while you're spraying offering you the capacity to blend colors while spraying. You'll love it for sure but don't think this will transform your Iwata into a Top (Gravity) Feed because it's not. Poor choice for a body though since you'll have to recharge quite often.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #194
Vric
AF Fanatic

Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

The Campbell & Hausfeld airbrush (there is only one airbrush) it a rebadged Badger 150. It can be found lower than 39$. not a bad airbrush, but for that price, I prefer a 155 Anthem for 11$ more

Also, the biguest thing that turn me off buying it was the replacement part. the Nozzle cost near 30$ itselft ! while the Anthem is near 5$. It's way cheaper if you have a problem.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #195
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Tamiya or Aztek Airbrush's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
The Campbell & Hausfeld airbrush (there is only one airbrush) it a rebadged Badger 150. It can be found lower than 39$. not a bad airbrush, but for that price, I prefer a 155 Anthem....
Huuu??? I really think he ment Spray Gun Vric... not Airbrush !!

Monday morning ?!!