Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Vision
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
JudasPriestScream
AF Newbie

96 Vision TSI - AC/Heat Console gone Haywire

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I hope I can get some feedback on this crazy problem.

My AC/Heat console started going nuts on me, turning on by itself, not shutting off, and not turning on - for both heat and AC. NOW it doesn't work at all and just blows heat off the engine out of it. Also, if I fiddle with the temp and fan knobs, my speedometer, gas, and RPM needles bug out then go dead.

The dealer wanted to replace the console and ignition switch and it was almost 1000$. I said forget it and I am shopping around a bit more.

Anyone have any ideas on this at all?

Thank you,

JPS
JudasPriestScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Crokie
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Vision TSI - AC/Heat Console gone Haywire

Hi,
Just wondering if you every got your problem with the heating solved. I seem to be having the same problem. Let me know.
Crokie
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Solomon Cloud
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Solomon Cloud

sounds like you have/had a short to ground. most likely a power wire that for the ac/heat has been damaged and started contacting a piece of metal in the car. When the bare wire shorts itself to ground it'll cause it to turn on/off and eventually burn itself and other components out.

Also and this is a theory the short had fried part of the computer that controls the climate control and blew something so it no longer turns on the heater or ac compressor, but only the blower motor.

unless you know how to test wiring and have some wiring diagrams and a multimeter handy I dont know what to say.... checking fuses would be the best step as if the resistance in the wire had gone above the amperage for it the fuse should blow for the components to protect them from being destroyed.

it could be simple enough as a bare wire and some blown fuses, or bad enough as fried electrical components that will need to be replaced.... you just gotta start digging into it....... or live with it and roll yo windows down when its hot.
Solomon Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
93metro
AF Newbie

i had the same problem while driving to florida (great time to have full heat coming out). what i found that the controls were very hot!! i had to take out the piece metal over the top of the A/c / heater controls. this fixed my prob. I think that it needs more airflow to keep it cool.

hope this helps yours
93metro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Eagle > Vision