Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
OldFordMama
AF Newbie

Question Inherited classic truck

Hello, I inherited a 1964 Ford F350 dually with a flat bed when my grandfather passed... I always wanted this truck but never got much out of him regarding it. I am still learning all its details, it has been untouched for 22 years, parked out in all weather. What would be the first move to get it road worthy? I have never done a restoration before. I just want it functional, not show worthy. What are the best sources for parts? Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by OldFordMama; 11-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.
OldFordMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldFordMama For This Useful Post:
JonasM (01-29-2020)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Inherited classic truck

Engine is probably seized from rust, ie rings to the cylinder walls. You could put some marvel mystery oil in the plug holes. probably need to let it sit at least a week. Then try to turn it over by hand. the wiring is probably shot, brakes frozen, etc. Mice made a home in it. You got a lot of work. And that's not even considering the tranny, suspension, etc.
OldFordMama (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
OldFordMama
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
Engine is probably seized from rust, ie rings to the cylinder walls. You could put some marvel mystery oil in the plug holes. probably need to let it sit at least a week. Then try to turn it over by hand. the wiring is probably shot, brakes frozen, etc. Mice made a home in it. You got a lot of work. And that's not even considering the tranny, suspension, etc.

I feared it was bad and if it wasn't my grandfather's, I probably wouldn't even try. With my budget, it will be done over time... the other hurtle is I have to have it moved two hours away to my home. Thank you
Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I bought my first vehicle it was a 67 for pickup, kind of the same thing. It sat for 10 plus years and I got it running fairly cheap. There was still work to be done before she was road worthy but it was and still would be a work in progress to this day if i still had it. The last post is right, it may be seized but you never know, what part of the country your in plays a factor in that. Honestly I'd put a battery on it and see if it cranks. If it does great and I'll give you the next steps I took. If it doesn't crank could be a bunch of little things or seized. I'd recommend putting a breaker bar on the water pump pulley and see if you can get the motor to turn. If it turns your going to want a new starter, and relay and new battery and starter cables to help prevent a fire when you give it power. Before trying to start it your going to want to at least make sure the oil is full and clean, preferably all new oil and filter but that's up to you. Keep me updated and I'll give input as needed/wanted. I'm on here once or twice a week so I should be able to help.
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
OldFordMama
AF Newbie

It is still sitting at my grandparents house, so many things took place between my first post and now that it got push aside... hoping to change that when this pandemic settles. Thank you for the information!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series