Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Series II and III
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
Adam Check
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Adam Check
Unhappy nobodys got a series?

except for me?

well i probably have enough to go around but they dont run and are rusty as hell hehe.

but no-one else does? thats too bad
Adam Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
IXLR8TL3.2
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IXLR8TL3.2
Talking acutally

my uncles owns an older Series IIA, he did a full ground up restoration on it, it looks beautiful. he converted the original hard top to the safari top (canvas). its an amazing vehicle and they go anywhere, he has a lot of property and he uses it to move around, it still has the old style valves, he needs to get them changed. but it is an extremely impressive vehicle, my family has a 96 Discovery and we love it, sure the onroad is a little ruff going but hey, going offroad more than makes up for it
IXLR8TL3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
LandRoverGrrl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LandRoverGrrl
I learned how to drive on a 1970 Series IIA 88" when I was 14. I even took it to my drivers test when I got my license. The guy said it was the best ride he had ever been on.

I drove it (mostly off-road) for four years and then I moved to CT. The Rover is still in NH with my step-dad. I miss her. She was the best!!! I'd like to get a Defender just coz I've wanted one since I was like ten (I'm nineteen).

Anyways, Series rule! It sucks that none of the new Rover owners know what they are. They think it's just another Jeep or something. Drives me nuts!!!!

1991 "Great Divide" Range Rover ~ "Wayne"
LandRoverGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 PM   #4
stevolandy
AF Newbie

I have and use My 2a swb as a daily run around and keep my stage 1 v8 for the weekends!! No I won't swap them for defender!!! Arms like popeye maybe .... ear plugs for long highway trips..so what..all part of the fun!!
stevolandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
silent560
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to silent560 Send a message via Yahoo to silent560
I got a 99 series II i love it, the things that i have done with this thing would have probably gotten me killed by now in another car.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
LandRoverGrrl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LandRoverGrrl
Re: nobodys got a series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent560
I got a 99 series II i love it, the things that i have done with this thing would have probably gotten me killed by now in another car.
Silent, I do believe you are looking for the DISCOVERY section in the Land Rover forum. "Someone inform the man!"

Obviously your sales person (did you get it at a dealer?) did not inform you of the history of Land Rover. I'm not fond of our sales people. I work at a Rover dealer...in the back where all the fun happens!

Land Rover began in 1948. Believe it or not, it was built on a Jeep chassis. ...so don't pick on the Jeep guys too much The first Land Rover in 1948 was called a SERIES 1...I..whatever. Then they progressed (like most vehicular companies do) to the Series II and then the Series IIA and then they stopped at the Series III where they moved on to bigger and "better" ideas.

I knew that when Land Rover called their updated version of the Discovery a "Series II", it was going to confuse people. I think they could have come up with something else rather than take away their history and throw it onto a pretty boy truck. The Series II Discovery is completely different from a Series II um, old thing. They are both Land Rovers, but the Discovery came second. When I hear "Series II" the first thing I think of is an old boxy beautiful looking vehicle that pretty much defined the beginning of my life. When you add "Discovery" onto "Series II", it totally changes the picture in my head. Instead of seeing a work horse, I see a soccer mom's SUV.

Anyways. Sorry if I offended anyone, but get it right. The Discovery isn't the first model of Land Rover. Go online and do a search. Learn the history of your vehicle before you go out and buy one. Then you will look truly intelligent when you can identify the vehicle that progressed to what you own today.

1991 "Great Divide" Range Rover ~ "Wayne"
LandRoverGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
BCBlues
AF Regular

Well this is an old thread but maby someone will read it. Way back in 1971 I bought a brand new Series 11/88. I kept that rover for 10 years and wish I still had it today. It had the Farie overdrive = 16 forward gears and 4 reverse gears. People would give a dobble take when I shifted going backwards. Anyway that little 88 was the toughist vehicle I have ever owned. It went down every Jeep trail in California. Crossed the Black Rock Deasert in Nevada and even Made (My Car) the cover of Off Road Magazine in 1976 for crossing the deseart with a group of rovers.

I put 300 thousand miles on it and in all of those miles it only required a valve job, a couple of clutches and about a dozen rear axels (always carred spare 10 spline axels).

Besides all of the fun 4 wheeling in the thing one of the coolest things I used to blow peoples minds with was when I would start it with the hand crank. Old timers would get a kick out of that.

I have since had a 1990 Range Rover County and for all of its luxuary it didn't even come close to the old 88 so after a couple of years and outragious service bills (the 88 was so simple to fix but not the Range rover) I sold it. It just wasn't my idea of a Land Rover.

Some day I will score another one and restore it.

Ive had Jeeps and Toyota 4X4's and nothing compaired to that old 88.
BCBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
Cbass94
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Cbass94

My dad and I have been trying to figure out how to import a series III pickup truck for about three years now, (stupid government has so many laws)! We have a 94 D90 and a 94 Disco. The D90 we work pretty hard, (that's what it was made for, huh?) But we have always been on the lookout for an old series to restore. The D90 has many mods, and is almost as simple as an old series, but like its been said before, the disco requires some high service bills sometimes. When I get a little older and have more of my own money and time to put into one (im 21), I will for sure buy one and make it my "thrash about" car!

PS. I always loved the double clutch in the old series', hehe
-Brad
Cbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
BCBlues
AF Regular

Yep the old one-two shift took a little dobble clutch practice. No problem though with the non-syncro second gear. Just had to have it down.
BCBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #10
SHIKOUTEI
AF Newbie

Looking for one...

I don't have a Rover, only American stuff (so far!) But I am looking to get a Mil. Spec. 24 Volt system Rover (Series III LWB). Does anyone know the advantage of a Mil Spec 24 volt vs a regular 12 volt system? I've heard some less that good things about the electrical system in the Series rovers. Any advice?
SHIKOUTEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
k3n
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to k3n
Thumbs up Used to own...

I used to own a green S3 South African exmil... however - it was a bit too small for me, so I sold it... Mind you, my step-dad still has his LWB S2a...

Old 06-12-2005, 01:12 AM   #12
joblo33
AF Newbie

I've got a '71 SWB Series IIA with a '68 transmission. My dad drove it till the frame rusted in half. I bought a galvanized frame and am looking for a galvanized bulkhead (plz tell me if you know where to get one). I'm about halfway throught the restoration, rolling chassis stage. It'll be a fun vehicle.

PS. I found a fairey overdrive in an old rusted out SII carcass on an island nearby, up to how much should I pay the old guy for the unit? Do they sieze up after a while or should it still be good?
Eric
joblo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
andrewscars
AF Newbie

my dad had an old series three its the only thing that can drive through the bog in the winter even the tractor sinks. it was a flatdeck and the only thing that comes close for practicality is an f100, which you cant get in NZ. unfortunately my stupid druggy brother broke it, literally, doing forest work he felled a tree onto the flatdeck and the chassis snapped in two. so now we dont have one and because they are getting rarer and the new model defender is a bit of a city-tough-school run thing, they are really expensive around 8 grand (5000USD). so if you have one look after it is the moral of the story here. theyre not disposable like the jap crap.
andrewscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #14
kyky
AF Regular

I just recently started working on the 1969 IIa thats been sitting in our back yard. Its been sitting there for about 8 years but we got it to fire up today. The body is a little rough (the previous owner ran into a fence) but its banged out for the most part. Some kids in our back yard start busting up the tail lights, but the little bastards got caught and it got us to start working on it agian so i guess its a blessing in disguise. Its pretty bare bones and rough around the edges but it should be a fun off road weekend toy when its all fixed up.
kyky is offline   Reply With Quote