Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
barthol
AF Newbie

2020 K1500 LT Silverado - rear bumper

Is it necessary to remove the rear bumper in order to replace the rear corner insert step-up pads/inserts on a 2020 Silverado (Part numbers 84227858 and 84227860)?

If the bumper did not need to be removed, is it reasonable to be charged for pre and post repair scans?

Is it necessary to replace both the pad and the insert if only the pad was damaged?

We rented a vehicle when our 1999 Tahoe was totaled in an accident. (How we will miss our older vehicle ... this new stuff is over the top for us!)

Someone damaged a rear corner bumper step up pad, on the rental vehicle, while we were parked in a parking lot.

On top of the parts and labor for the pad and insert repair, the rental car company is asking us to pay the collision shops estimate that included:

$207.00 Pre and Post-Repair scans
$135.00 One hour labor for those scans (Why additional labor for the scans?)
$60.00 labor to remove and install the bumper (was this necessary?)
$20.00 hazardous waste removal (for a couple of pieces of plastic?)

I'm trying to find out what work was actually done, but I'm hitting roadblocks for now.

My husband has always done the majority of our vehicle repairs. This is one he would have done himself, if it had already been our vehicle, but it was out of our hands.
barthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Thumbs down Re: 2020 K1500 LT Silverado - rear bumper

You need to challenge these scans, not required unless the battery is disconnected, ask for a detailed explanation. Plus they overlap, lotta bs!

Last edited by maxwedge; 10-20-2020 at 02:34 PM.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
barthol
AF Newbie

Re: 2020 K1500 LT Silverado - rear bumper

I agree that the charges for the scans are questionable, since they charged for the scans at $207, then also charged separately labeled labor associated with the scans, at $135. That is definitely significantly more than what any of the other independent shops I called would charge for scans.

It's understandable that the major auto manufacturers' position statements on pre- and post-repair scans are to make sure that all of the features work properly after a collision or after a repair where different things were disconnected and reconnected. I certainly wouldn't want one of these new vehicles improperly taking control of my steering or braking. But, I doubt that any sensors that were disconnected when the bumper was removed, controlled those features.

That said, unless they took the bumper off to replace the parts, I'm not sure that charging for pre-repair and post-repair scans was warranted anyway. It's hard to believe that a little "bump" in a parking lot that only damaged these plastic pieces would be aggressive enough to throw systems out of whack. If so, we are too old for new vehicles. We will have to look for a gently used older model vehicle. :-)

Upon further research of the parts, it "looks" like (from the diagram") that the "insert" might require tangling with the bumper in order to do it. Such a shame for what should be such a simple repair. :-(

But, I still take issue with the $207 + $135 related to those scans and I have already disputed it with the car rental service. We'll see what happens.

https://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/p...n-vehicles.pdf

https://www.chevroletpartsdirect.com...nsert-84227860
barthol is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado