Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
prikolist
AF Newbie

Re: can somebody tell me why my horn keeps going off on my 99 isuzu rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarquez1
I never did--and then the car was totalled just before Thanksgiving. The only solution was to pull the horn fuse and simply not have a beep when I set the alarm or a horn at all.
This is exactly what I did. I hope it was not the reason why you totalled your car.
prikolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #17
maximafever
AF Newbie

simple solution my horn was doing the same thing and to make it worseit not only did it in the middle of the night but even in the day time if it is cold enough. so I went to Wal-Mart and got a $2 switch and found the horn wire cut it and then connecting one end to one output of the switch and the other end to the other output to interupt the power going to the horn. Result is simply when I don't need the horn the switch is off when I need it, it is on.
maximafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #18
richpatrol
AF Newbie

i seem to have this same problem. I have a 98 Rodeo. The Horn goes off when it get cold and the only way to turn it off is remove the fuse. A mechcanic here in Seoul Korea has told me he has seen this before in other vehicles. He said the switch in the steering wheel is bad and I need to replace it. He says I will need to get it from the states, though I'm not sure exactly what the part is or where I can buy one.
Does anyone know what the part number is for this switch and where I can order it? Also how do you remove the cover for the horn button? I know the air bag is there and afraid to mess with it unless I really know what I'm doing. Is there a way to disable the airbag so it doesn't blow up in your face? Any help?
Thanks
richpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #19
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatrol
i seem to have this same problem. I have a 98 Rodeo. ...., though I'm not sure exactly what the part is or where I can buy one.
Does anyone know what the part number is for this switch and where I can order it? ...
this official isuzu online parts site ought to help you figure out what part you want with the parts illustrations, and complete parts numbers.

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/

to order, you might want to get hold of stcharlesisuzu which sells dealer parts over the phone with a discount and free shipping in the states; maybe they ship overseas too. Ask for Merlin. if they can't help you, no one can here in usa i'd guess, but i'd bet he'd be able to tell you who can if they can't

http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx

you might try emailing them, but merlin told me once they don't check that much. maybe you can call and ask him to to keep your phone bill down.
good luck

another thought, it's possible that JLEMOND carries this. he's an ex isuzu tech and tech instructor and a *real* expert most all things isuzu, and he now also sells oem isuzu parts and i know he has said he does ship overseas. look up in the FAQ, i think his contact info is there, or maybe someone else can supply it. even if he can't get you the part, i'd guess he'd be able to steer you in the right direction as to what the problem might part might be.

edit add: i also wonder if holden australia or isuzu new zealand might not be closer sources, not to mention japan.
//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.

Last edited by trooperbc; 03-04-2007 at 03:56 PM.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #20
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

btw richpatrol, what switch is he talking about? the lock assembly, the ignition switch or the horn switch? or ?

to get to the page for the lock assembly with the ignition switch on the site
http://www.myisuzuparts.com/
go to >1998 >Rodeo >Parts Catalog >Suspension Front and Rear >Steering Column and Shaft. the list down under the illustration will have all the parts numbers and applications.
and here's the illustration

please followup with us on this. maybe it's the long sought remedy.
oh, and on your problem, is it the regular horn that's sounding or the antitheft horn?
//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #21
richpatrol
AF Newbie

I went to that page but am still not identifing the horn button, switch or contact, if that is what it is called. The only switch I'm seeing is the ignition switch. I see a coil, is that hooked to the horn. Hate to ask again but what is the switch the horn is hooked to? Sorry but I was always told that the only really dumb question is the question not asked.
This problem does affect my horn but by pulling the fuse out from under the hood it disables the horn. This does seem to affect my security horn too. If that is a seperate horn and circuit as I have read above that fuse seems to turn off all. When I open my car rear door with the key with out first turning off the alarm my lights flash but the horn doesn't go off. And of course I don't have a horn at the steering wheel. Really need a horn here in Korea for traffic. It is almost as important as having a steering wheel.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

well i won't pretend i know where to point you on this. but if it's the horn contact you are talking about, i'd be surprised that it's connected to the alarm system, but with some of the weird electrical stuff on isuzu's it wouldn't shock me. the horn contact isn't in that illustration, but it is on the site. just put in your model year info, click on keyword and, iirc, put in steering, or steering wheel or something like that. there's different illustrations/parts for airbag and non-airbag models.

i can't remember, but it took me a while to find it. i *might* be able to try again later.
can you check with the mechanic to find out exactly what he thinks is wrong, or are you saying he says it *is* the horn contact.?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #23
richpatrol
AF Newbie

Well got it fixed! I took it back to the Korean mechanic so I can't say I fixed it myself but I did assist him. I only recommend doing this with caution as you are messing with the air bag and you don't want that going off in your face. Should disconnect the power for horn and airbag. You can pull the fuses.
Our solution was to remove the horn and air bag pad assembly. There are two torax screws holding the pad assembly on to the steering wheel assembly. That is easy enough but they were pretty tight. Remove those screws and then carefully disconnect the two electrical connectors. One for air bag and one for horn. Then you have to remove the whole assembly. I am guessing normally you would replace this whole assembly normally but I figured I didn't have anything to loose so we went ahead and disassembled to get to the horn switch. You have to remove a plastic shield and then four small nuts and then very carefully remove. Note how you take it out as it has to go back in the same, plus you don't want to damage anything especially the cloth of air bag. Under the air bag assembly is a pressure switch about 2 1/2 by about 5 inches long. When you press the outside cover of the steering wheel it presses into this switch and sounds your horn. This has been molded into the black rubber/plastic cover with a number of posts about a 1/4 inch by maybe half inch there are probably about 10 or a dozen. I am going from memory. Had to take a sharp razor knife and cut down the middle of each post and then using a small flat screw driver pried up the clear plastic shield cover the presure switch. There is a little bridge of the clear plastic running down the center of each post and you just need to lift that through each slit. It is really not that hard just have to pry up carefully. If you have gotten this far you will know what I'm discribing.
Apparently what is happening to cause the horn to go off by itself is the black plastic cover when it gets very cold contracts and causes the switch to close as if you were pressing on the horn. We used a meter to check the operation of the switch and the switch was working ok. The solution that worked for us was to just leave off the thin clear plastic protective cover that we had pried off. This would normally be between the air bag and the switch but it shouldn't hurt to leave it off, at least hope not. Then just re-install just as you un-installed but leaving off the clear plastic cover over the switch. It is not much in thickness just a few hairs in thickness but that little extra space seemed to give the switch enough space to properly work even when the shrounding plastic contracts. This is probably a temperary fix. I will probably need to buy a new assembly but I'm sure this is a number of hundred dollars. I hav'nt tried to identify or price it yet. If someone has better access to a Isuzu parts establishment they may have better luck. If you could just replace the presure switch and the black plastic/rubber cover and not the air bag and all should be as good as new. I'm sure that would be much cheaper than the entire assembly with airbag. Not sure if you can buy that part seperately? Anyone know? Hope this helps others. But again use caution as that airbag is located there.
Rich in Seoul Korea
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
richpatrol
AF Newbie

I did search that Isuzu parts catalog and think I found the part on page 8-27 and it is part 23-A Air Bag Unit 8-97391-856-8. I didn't know that was available on-line, so a big help. I asked for a quote from Scarff Isuzu in Auburn WA using the quote option there. Not sure they will respond not too far from my home in Washington. Maybe I can get them to mail to me, many companies won't send parts through mail but only Fed EX. Anyway I sure the part is several hundred dollars and I may be able to get by with the fix that was made.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #25
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatrol
I did search that Isuzu parts catalog and think I found the part on page 8-27 and it is part 23-A Air Bag Unit 8-97391-856-8. I didn't know that was available on-line, so a big help.
Quote:
I asked for a quote from Scarff Isuzu in AuburnWA using the quote option there. Not sure they will respond not too far from my home in,,,

good. i really like that site, but i found it to be a PITA hunting for these parts for some reason.
NOTE WRONG PART NUMBER, i think. you might want to recheck that page and the application dates. the way i read it, the part number you mention is for 08-2003 and Later

for 07-1997 to 08-1999 the part number seems to be 8-97159-881-5
http://www.myisuzuparts.com/part_info_popup.php?part=8-97159-881-5

when finding parts numbers yourself, it pays to get the dealer to verify that it is the right one for your year and model. btw, give stcharles isuzu i mentioned above a try on that form too, they usually beat others prices here in the states anyway, with a discount and free states' shipping, ask for MERLIN.

finally, thanks for the detailed writeup. I’ve got a couple of questions that i’ll post shortly if you would answer them. Thanks.

Good luck with your fix.

//bc

Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #26
richpatrol
AF Newbie

Thanks for verifying that part number guess I got it wrong. Anyway it is still working ok so hopefully wil never have to order that part. That catalog is a little hard to manuver through, guess it takes a little practice so I will be careful if I do have to order something else. I have heard of that St. Charles Isuzu before, it seems many people use it. I will give it a try next time I do order a part.
Now I need to figure out why my ABS light is coming on. It has been on for a number of months. I had a Korean mechanic look at it a while back they check all my sensors but couldn't figure it out. May have a bad ABS module? My brakes work OK but I guess I just don't have the ABS option working. Probably wil just live with it.
Then there is the AC. I replaced the compressor twice last year and I still not getting cool air. It is winter now but once it gets hot I guess I will have another project for that Korean mechanic. That will be another thread.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #27
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

ABS: Check the connectors under the truck. Follow the wires from the rear of the truck to the front to see if there are any problems with the wires. I changed my ABS sensor, but I still get the light intermittently.

1997 TJ Sport 4.0L D35 rear 5 spd 31" Dayton Timberline ATs

1996 VW Jetta GLS 2.0L 5 spd
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
miah74656
AF Newbie

It is a broken horn button which is behind the airbag. it is about $600.00
to have it fixed. Just pull your fuse for the horn and get anafter market installed.
miah74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
skippertoo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximafever
simple solution my horn was doing the same thing and to make it worseit not only did it in the middle of the night but even in the day time if it is cold enough. so I went to Wal-Mart and got a $2 switch and found the horn wire cut it and then connecting one end to one output of the switch and the other end to the other output to interupt the power going to the horn. Result is simply when I don't need the horn the switch is off when I need it, it is on.
Hello,

Would you have a picture ? My horn just did this Christmas Eve (two times) and I just pulled the fuse but I like this idea
skippertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
1958Jon
AF Newbie

Yes, the horn sticking problem started for me this past December on my 1999 Rodeo. It was easy to locate and pull the 10 amp fuse and I just figured I would re-plug it for state inspection. I started noticing the headlights diming and brightening while idling. I started thinking the voltage regulator must be going out. One morning it was especially bad with the engine lurching along with the lights. I had a hunch and plugged that horn fuse in, engine smoothed out and head lights stayed steady! In typical automotive design brilliance that fuse is used for more than the label indicates. Looking at the schematic in the Haynes book I have, it appears that the crank or cam position senser is also in that fuse circuit (not real clear). Pulling the fuse is only good for quieting the horn in the middle of those cold nights.

Can anyone tell me if the single green wire coming out of the steering column is the horn wire? If not which one? My diagram does not even show the horn circuit. I want to use the $2 solution.
1958Jon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU