Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
White Targa
AF Newbie

Question clunking-when starting or stopping

hey Rodeo heads,

I bought a 99 Rodeo LSE 4X4... I am not displeased with it. I like it. But, I have a clunk when starting and stopping. I had a Tranny guy look at it and he said it was not the tranny... he said it was the rear axel rocking (trialing arm support issue) has any one else had anyhting like this happen and what was it actually? I called the dealer because all this had me go looking for factory recalls. I found several. One I thought would cure me but it did not and the dealer used the recall as a marketing tool to try to screw me. They actually gave me a healthy inspection report and waited until all recall work was done and told me verbally and in writing that they informed me of the clunk but I chose not to pay them to look for the cause. Now that is service. Going that extra mile for the customer... what a bunch of... anyway if anyone knows what I need to change or tighten or has had a similar experience...help. Thanks
White Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

White Targa - The start/stop driveline "clunk" is caused by a dry rear driveshaft slip-yoke (located near the tranny tailshaft, covered by a rubber boot). This is an EXTREMELY common issue with rodeos for whatever reason, especially the later models (1998+). There is two ways to rectify it. The best way is to drop the drive shaft, completely clean & regrease the splined socket & shaft of the slip yoke. Supposedly dealers use a special long-lasting synthetic grease. The grease cusions the "blow" everytime the driveshaft slip-yoke slides in/out due to the drivetrain bind of starting/stopping. Second way is to cut the clamps off the boot, slide the boot out of the way, clean & grease the splines as best you can, slide the boot back, install new clamps - The cheap way does work, but you'll be perfoming this procedure more often then you'd like by doing it the cheap way. G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
White Targa
AF Newbie

Thank you Joel...
White Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #4
Mastrpdawg
AF Newbie

Has anyone had the splined socket and shaft of the slip yoke regreased as suggested by Joel?

Reason I'm asking is that I had the same clunking problem and took it the dealer. They said exactly the same thing as Joel and told me they regreased the slip yoke. When I drove it home the clunking was still there but I remembered the mechanic telling me it would take a while for the grease to get worked around and the clunking should disappear after a while. Well its been a 5 weeks now of daily driving and the clunking is still there.

Just wondering if greasing the yokes has really helped stop it for anyone and if I should go back to the dealer and have them regrease it.
Mastrpdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:56 AM   #5
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: clunking-when starting or stopping

If the slip yoke is pulled apart (drive shaft removed), cleaned & regreased properly this will stop the "clunk" instantly. Either that dealer did it the cheap way by greasing the SY with out pulling the drive shaft (just slid the boot back, rubbed some grease on the exposed splines, put the boot back & installed new clamps) or they missed something else- such as a bad universal joint. Either way I would get it back to that dealer ASAP & explain that the regrease didnt work. G/luck
Joel
Old 09-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #6
youna
AF Newbie

For the last 2 weeks I have been looking at purchasing Rodeo 1999-2000 model .
I test drove 5 different ones and 3 out of 5 made that terrifying Clunking noise you mentioned as I accelerated from a complete stop at a light and in one case while moving , and boy it scared me off purchase totally, which is why am here typing & surfing in the middle of the night trying to find answers for weather or not to even consider an Isuzu Rodeo.

I think it was Joel that made a convincing explanation, with a remade. and I would like to know what the $$$ cost would be for a good fix for this as he recommended ? oh & how often ?
2nd I would like to know, if this problem is not fixed or has been going on for a long period of time, what further damage can it lead to ?
3rd and last, Knowing this, would you consider purchasing one that was making that clunking noise ? and just have it repaired or servised later ?
Thanks, This is a very nice Forum
youna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Youna. To have someone regrease the slip yoke for you would likely run an hour for labor & a few bucks for grease and two new clamps. Probably somewhere around $100 total. Done right, it should last 3-4 years of normal service. If there were grease fittings on the drive shafts, this would be a 1min maintenance procedure!! Greasing the SY is not listed in the owners manual for service intervals, so most dealers will cover this under the powertrain warranty. I beleive isuzu has issued a TSB, specifiying a new type of synthetic grease that is more of a permanent fix for this issue. The clunk itself is not harmful, or dangerous, but driving with a dry slip-yoke for many, many miles can damage the drive shaft. All in all, rodeo's are an above average truck. Not quite as "good" as a 4-runner, montero sport, or xterra, but better than a exploder, blazer or durango. You'll find that you get more for your $$ with a rodeo. Stick with 2000 or up- since you will atleast get 5yrs/60Kmi powertrain warranty. G/luck
Joel
Old 09-12-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
youna
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, your a great asset to this BB.
Well, I did it, purchased a Black 99 LS, Auto Tranny, with 57K miles.
Looks, drives & smells great. No Clunking Noise yet.
I will be monitering this board from time to time and help out with my future experiances.
Cya
youna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:22 AM   #9
69oldscutlass
AF Newbie

Unhappy shifting problems

i have the same clunking when i start or stop, but i also have a shifter problem, it only happens the first time i drive the car in the morning usually. i put the car into drive and the dash indicator will say R or 1, or anything really, it just jumps around as i shift gears, then after a min of messing with it, it will go into gear. any idea what might cause this?
69oldscutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:50 AM   #10
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: shifting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69oldscutlass
i have the same clunking when i start or stop, but i also have a shifter problem, it only happens the first time i drive the car in the morning usually. i put the car into drive and the dash indicator will say R or 1, or anything really, it just jumps around as i shift gears, then after a min of messing with it, it will go into gear. any idea what might cause this?
Here you go 69'O:
4L30E range sensor

G/luck
Joel
Old 10-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
waltermiles
AF Newbie

Re: clunking-when starting or stopping

does that issue come up with 2002 Isuzu Axiom too? the drive line you described looks the same. you have any experience with these cars joel?
waltermiles is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU