Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rolls Royce > Silver Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
daviddhaene
AF Newbie

59 Silver Cloud

My great-grandfather traded my grandfather a 59 Silver Cloud for a "previously enjoyed" lincoln about 20 years ago. Since then, it sat many years in a barn. After I graduated from college, he gave it to me. Now, I'm in Atlanta, GA with little or no idea where to go to get parts, advice, work, etc.
I am not a mechanic. I do watch TV shows about mechanics, so I am loaded with misplaced confidence.
But, really, I have had a couple of folks look at it and I certainly need an exhaust. I know this because the motor fires and runs smooth. The transmission works forward and reverse. There are no brakes at this moment. In fact, the wheel cylinders are in a box and I think the master cylinder is too, but I can't remember exactly. I would like to know if and how I might run some GM bus brakes instead of trying to rebuild or replace the original RR parts. One of the backing plates is completely rusted off and 2 others need to be replaced. Of course, the majority of lines are missing, so a total re-run is going to happen anyway.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this move?
daviddhaene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
kratefan
AF Enthusiast

Re: 59 Silver Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddhaene
My great-grandfather traded my grandfather a 59 Silver Cloud for a "previously enjoyed" lincoln about 20 years ago. Since then, it sat many years in a barn. After I graduated from college, he gave it to me. Now, I'm in Atlanta, GA with little or no idea where to go to get parts, advice, work, etc.
I am not a mechanic. I do watch TV shows about mechanics, so I am loaded with misplaced confidence.
But, really, I have had a couple of folks look at it and I certainly need an exhaust. I know this because the motor fires and runs smooth. The transmission works forward and reverse. There are no brakes at this moment. In fact, the wheel cylinders are in a box and I think the master cylinder is too, but I can't remember exactly. I would like to know if and how I might run some GM bus brakes instead of trying to rebuild or replace the original RR parts. One of the backing plates is completely rusted off and 2 others need to be replaced. Of course, the majority of lines are missing, so a total re-run is going to happen anyway.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this move?
As far as parts, try Hemmings Motor News. They will provide information. Rolls Royce brakes are very complicated. They have a mechanical servo that runs off of the transmission. I'm sure Atlanta has some independant shops that can help you.
Good luck,
Jeff
kratefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
jeffro911
AF Newbie

Hi,

I too have a 1959 silvercloud that has sat for many years. The brakes were completely frozen on the car and I had to do a lot to get them unstuck on working again. I have learned allot about this particular year and model now and would be happy to share my knowledge with you. I have the factory repair manual and I would be happy to fax or email info out of it, as you need it. I do have a favor to ask of you, I have got my car ready to drive except for one thing, my shift linkage. When I got the car, some things were already removed or disconnected and for the life of me I cannot figure out were this one piece of support linkage attaches. I am hoping that you could take a picture of yours to show me were it is to attach. I will be very grateful for any help that you can give.

Jeff
jeffro911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
daviddhaene
AF Newbie

Jeff,
I would love to help. Right now, the car is not with me. I'm not having anything done to it, though. I was told (and I agree) that it is too far gone to repair. I am not happy about it, to say the least. So, the car sits in SC. Anyway, I'll see what I can do about getting a picture or drawing or something for you. I can't promise, but I'll see what I can do.
Congrats on getting the car this far!
daviddhaene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
jeffro911
AF Newbie

Thank you for your quick response and willingness to help. I will leave my email address on this post in hopes that you will respond to me there so I can send you a picture of what I am after.
I wish I had done what you were thinking and attach all modern running gear and power plant from some other vehicle. I could have gotten the look of the Rolls without the headache of the cost of Rolls parts. At least at this point, I can say I have an intimate relationship with my car.

Jeff
jeff@themetrolink.com
jeffro911 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rolls Royce > Silver Series