Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
fonnzy8
AF Newbie

90' Sunbird NO SPARK

A buddy of mine has a 90 sunbird le 2.0 ltr. and it just died on him on the way home. I came over to take a look at it and we aren't getting any spark at the coil. I have checked the relay's and fuse but am now stumped as to why we aren't getting any spark... Anyone have this problem before.
fonnzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
mechanic1980
AF Newbie

Re: 90' Sunbird NO SPARK

sounds like a crank sensor to me hook a scan tool up and read the rpm signal if it reads zero when you crank the sensor isnt working

if it starts in the morning without doing anything then suspect the ignition module
mechanic1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
fonnzy8
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1980 View Post
sounds like a crank sensor to me hook a scan tool up and read the rpm signal if it reads zero when you crank the sensor isnt working

if it starts in the morning without doing anything then suspect the ignition module
It won't start at all. No spark at all but have no idea how to check the crank sensor. Are they expensive, and are they easy enough to change?
fonnzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
andretti
AF Newbie

This engine doesn't use a crank sensor to signal spark timing. Inside the distributor cap is the ignition module and pick-up coil. The pick-up magnetically senses the position of the "rotating" camshaft and sends its reading directly to the module. It's the ignition module that controls the firing of the ignition coil and also sends its timing signal from the pick-up to the ECM (electronic control module inside the car) which then fires the fuel injectors.

First things first. All the fuses are good so next check to make sure the camshaft is rotating. Post back what you find and I'm sure others here will also chime in to help.

OOPS!!! I never looked at the POST DATE! lol
andretti is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird