Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
taunop
AF Newbie

Bad Distributor? Car not starting.

Hi All,
I got a dead car. Sometimes (one out of 10+ trials) it may start. Once it starts it is pretty smooth sounding noise, you cant tell if anything is wrong with it.

I got it checked for the codes and it was Cylinder 1 misfire. I dont remember the code, but that was it, Cylinder 1 misfire.
I got the spark plugs changed, and the wiring but no improvement. I replaced the distributor rotor and still no improvement.
I tried to see if there was any sparks, by leaving the cable slightly disconnected, but I couldn't tell , by sound of discharge, if there were any sparks at all or not.

The distributor had some oil in the lower part, but just the cover or the sealing rubber.

I am wondering if it is the distributor or something else?
Is there any way to test it before I figure this issue by trial and error (expensive) ? I don't want to do more tune up then necessary. Is distributor failure common in these vehicles?

I saw some distributors for $50ish on ebay (used) would they be ok? Anything else could be causing this issue?

One more thing, I did remove the distributor to inspect it and put it back, but not without moving the rotor and seeing if it was ok. Did I mess anything with the timing?

The battery has plenty of charge and the cranking sound nice.
Nissan Altima 2000.

Thanks in advance.
taunop is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
distributor , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima