Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Sierrastar
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2003 Grand Am Security Light on and car won't start, car repair place is baffeled?

Hi there yesterday my car wouldn't start. The security light is on. I had it towed the car repair place (thinking the starter had gone out in it) and they found it was the security system that is keeping it from starting. What they usually do to fix this problem isn't working with my car. Has anyone had this problem? They are stumped.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Forkliftguy
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2003 Grand Am Security Light on and car won't start, car repair place is baffeled?

Your Grand Am uses PasslokII which relies on the ignition lock cylinder to send a code to the computer, if the lock cylinder has failed, it won't be doing what it's suppose to do properly and won't allow the fuel pump to run hence your vehicle won't start or it will but then dies right away. Chances are the it's faulty and needs to be replaced, but by doing so the computer needs to be reprogrammed also to recognize the code of the new lock cylinder. Chances are this will have to be done a GM dealership unfortunately...

Marc
Old 10-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
Blksct03
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Grand Am Security Light on and car won't start, car repair place is baffeled?

I had this problem once before but it was because i had a viper alarm installed and when they put it in they triped the factory alarm in doing it. and i had to take it to the dealer and they charged me $75 to reset the computer.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
nolapd
AF Newbie

Unhappy

I have a 2001 Grand Am and my security light has also been coming on when I start the car and it stays on. For the past few months, sometimes when we try to start the car it doesn't catch on the first try and the security light starts flashing and the car won't start at all. I was told by the guy at the dealership to put the key in the ON position and leave it for 10 min. until the light stops blinking then try to start it up again. I do this EVERY time and it works but it's become irritating when you have to sit in a car with a child in the 90 degree heat!! Whenever you find out what the problem is, please let me know so I can see how much it's gonna cost me to fix this P.O.S that i've purchased!!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Blksct03
AF Newbie

I have also been told that some times it is just a matter of replacing the alarm control unit in the car, and that just depends on the dealer. I know that if i had to do it that it would cost me but if u dont have any remote starter or after market alarm the dealer should cover it in your warrenty
Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
kimmie0613
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kimmie0613
Re: Re: 2003 Grand Am Security Light on and car won't start, car repair place is baffeled?

I had the same problem with my 2001 Grand Am, it ended up being the ingition cylinder and had to get a new one from the dealership. The part cost me $180 and that included the coding for it to work in my car. Since this has been replaced I have had no problem with the security system or it not startin.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

The body control module is mounted in the pasenger side kick panel and are known to fail due to moisture and salt exposure. It controls the passlock and other functions. I would try the key re-learn first, if this is your first time having trouble. If it's happening on a regular basis, it's the BCM or Ignition switch.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
PeterK
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with my 2001 GT. The battery had died shortly prior to this happening and when I tried to jump the car, this happened. After replacing the battery, the same problem occured. The car was towed the first time, had them check the ignition sensor and everything checked out right and of course the car started up for them. About 5 days latter the same thing happened; new battery drained, jump would not help. Towed second time; they disconnected the battery, changed the connections, and I have not had a problem with that since.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 PM   #9
nolapd
AF Newbie

Someone mentioned to my husband to disconnect the negative battery cable and let the battery drain, then replace it and see if that helps. Is that something like what they did to yours PeterK? It's just annoying to constantly wait 10 minutes for the security light to go off.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolapd
Someone mentioned to my husband to disconnect the negative battery cable and let the battery drain, then replace it and see if that helps. Is that something like what they did to yours PeterK? It's just annoying to constantly wait 10 minutes for the security light to go off.
Yeah, there isn't much you can do. Even GM doesn't understand what the real problem is. They just replace the whole system which is an obvious short term fix. ALso, they love to lay blame on anything like remote starts. There was a recall on the ignition switches a while ago which seemed to help it.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
lorilovespooh
AF Newbie

security lock

I have had problems with my security light coming on while driving, then as soon as I turn the car off and go to start it again, it won't start. I finally figured out that I have to reset the security system in the radio, then wait about 10 minutes for the Theftlock light to go off. It's very annoying and frustrating when you have somewhere to be, and it happens almost every day. I replaced the batteries in the remotes, thinking that may help, it did not. I have read some suggestions posted on here from going to the dealer, to draining the battery. I do not have a warranty on my car, so the cheapest avenue would be best for me. If I were to replace the radio with a Sony or something, would that affect the Theftlock system? Would I have to get the computer reset? That would suck. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: security lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilovespooh
I have had problems with my security light coming on while driving, then as soon as I turn the car off and go to start it again, it won't start. I finally figured out that I have to reset the security system in the radio, then wait about 10 minutes for the Theftlock light to go off. It's very annoying and frustrating when you have somewhere to be, and it happens almost every day. I replaced the batteries in the remotes, thinking that may help, it did not. I have read some suggestions posted on here from going to the dealer, to draining the battery. I do not have a warranty on my car, so the cheapest avenue would be best for me. If I were to replace the radio with a Sony or something, would that affect the Theftlock system? Would I have to get the computer reset? That would suck. Thanks for any suggestions!
Nope, the theftlock is only in the radio. You have a Passkey II problem. Look at your gauges in your dash. That's what you have to be concerned about. Dealer is the only way to fix it and unfortunately, it's only temporary.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
tmiller06
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Grand Am Security Light on and car won't start, car repair place is baffeled

I had this happen to my car last year. I had to have the ignition cylinder replaced. My mechanic replaced it but had to have a GM dealership reprogram/rekey it so it recognized my key. He said that the little wires that are connected to where you put the key into the ignition were almost all worn through. Had they completely snapped my car never would have started, even after waiting the 10 minutes in the ON position. He said a possible cause of this is a key ring that's too heavy. That's what I get for buying a used leased car. Previous owner didn't take very good care of the car.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Welcome to AF tmiller06 !
Please look at the dates before posting in outdated threads !! This obviously isnt a problem anymore.

This is closed!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM