Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
HANN4S
AF Newbie

Loud Radiator Fan....LS Heating

I have a 03 Lincoln LS V8 101k and lately the radiator fan has been very loud. I also noticed that the engine temperature gauge is rising just a little bit higher over the middle mark where it normally sits but not so high. In several cases, when i'm driving everything seem normal but the moment i stop at a redlight, the fan gets really loud. A couple of times i left the car turned on in the driveway and it got very loud. I turned on the heat and it seem to help a little bit. These past couple of cold days i have been using the heat and no sign of the problem anymore. What can be causing this? is it thermostat related? Thank you!
HANN4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Loud Radiator Fan....LS Heating

I'd start by making sure you don't have restrictions in front of the radiator/condenser. If there isn't a bunch of debris, then visually inspect the radiator fan to see if it is loose or if one of the fan blades is damaged or cracked. Following that you might need to visit someone who has a radiator system pressure tester. Some of the auto parts stores may have one of these in their loan-a-tool program. Make sure the pressure cap holds the correct amount of pressure and that the system also holds pressure. You could also use an infrared thermometer to make sure the engine and radiator are actually getting as warm as the gauge indicates. Beyond these checks I think you're up to the less easily inspected items such as the water pump, thermostat, and radiator fan motor.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
joegr
AF Regular

Almost certainly, your degas bottle has cracked. The air getting into the cooling system is degrading it causing it to fall behind. The PCM is increasing the fan speed to try and compensate. This is not an uncommon LS problem, and your symptom description fits the most common complaints when this starts. If you don't fix it soon, your next symptom will be that it starts going into reduced power mode due to overheating.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
HANN4S
AF Newbie

Thanks shorod & joegr the car finally overheated, the temperature gauge rising high and I got the check engine temperature today. The coolant is leaking right below the coolant recovery tank and it leaks even more when the car is idling. The funny thing is that i replaced the coolant recovery tank about 8 months ago because it cracked on the side and was leaking. I bought it at www.rockauto.com and took it in to have it replaced. I think something else is causing the car to overheat and the tank is just at the worse end of it, having boiling coolant in and out causing it to degrade faster than normal. This is my 2nd LS and I fixed the problem once with my previous LS and it never resurfaced again till I sold the car.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANN4S View Post
Thanks shorod & joegr the car finally overheated, the temperature gauge rising high and I got the check engine temperature today. The coolant is leaking right below the coolant recovery tank and it leaks even more when the car is idling. The funny thing is that i replaced the coolant recovery tank about 8 months ago because it cracked on the side and was leaking. I bought it at www.rockauto.com and took it in to have it replaced. I think something else is causing the car to overheat and the tank is just at the worse end of it, having boiling coolant in and out causing it to degrade faster than normal. This is my 2nd LS and I fixed the problem once with my previous LS and it never resurfaced again till I sold the car.
For the record. It's not a coolant recovery tank. They aren't pressurized. This is a pressurized degas bottle or coolant reservoir.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
HANN4S
AF Newbie

Aren't we talking about the same thing in the link below? Autozone and Rockauto have it under recovery tank. Thanks

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=63-0
Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'd say this is kind of like "Freon" versus "R-12" versus "R-134a."

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I'd say this is kind of like "Freon" versus "R-12" versus "R-134a."

-Rod
Yes, the parts stores are calling it the wrong thing too.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
HANN4S
AF Newbie

So I fixed the car myself for $60 after wasting $850 and the car wouldn't stop overheating, I replaced the thermostat and housing and followed the proper air bleeding procedure from the forum. I spent so much because I ended up replacing the coolant recovery tank, radiator, A/C condenser and transmission cooler. The parts were cheap but i paid quite a bit for the labor.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
bpoolson
AF Newbie

My daughter is having this same issue with her 2006 Lincoln LS V8 right now. Going to have a pressure test done on the coolant system asap. Car has never actually overheated but the loud radiator fan noise is constant, the temp needle is at 3/4, and the engine starts to reduce power after driving for about 15 minutes. When she had her oil changed last, they had to add some cooling fluid because it was low.
bpoolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Davees
AF Newbie

#1 look under car, Behind driver side wheel, about 1 foot in. If you see any liquid, run your finger through it. If it's slick, it's coolant. Your degas bottle is cracked. As the car heats up, it expands & allows antifreeze to escape. Look up the forums on how to do it. I could direct you, but it's easier following the diagrams.
Davees is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ