Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
1stCarAly22
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1stCarAly22
Smile Newbie = Me!

Hey there everyone! I'm pretty new to Automotive Forums, and I just wanted to start to get to know everyone a little bit. I'm starting my senior project in just a few months and I've decided to fix up my dad's old DeLorean. I know very little about cars in general, let alone DeLoreans, so this should be a real learning experience. I'll be working with a local technical school on the project, but just in case I have any questions they can't answer, I'd love to have someone to turn to here. In fact, I have a question for DeLorean drivers right now: How's gas? I know it's no economy car - but I imagine it can't be too bad. I'd love some feedback, or just a reply with hello. Have a great day! And I look forward to meeting you all.
1stCarAly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Hey hows it going? Welcome.

Mine gets about 20 mpg. I think I remember seeing an old Delorean window sticker online that listed it as 19mpg street/21mpg highway but don't quote me on that one.

you should check out Delorean.com if you haven't already, they sell all the parts and have good diagrams pictures.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
Re: Newbie = Me!

that's a pretty big project if you're new to cars. deloreans aren't exactly newbie friendly. i highly suggest getting the factory repair manuals if you're really serious about this.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-OS
that's a pretty big project if you're new to cars. deloreans aren't exactly newbie friendly. i highly suggest getting the factory repair manuals if you're really serious about this.

a delorean isn't a good car to learn on. even seasoned mechanics have trouble with them.
it is a known fact that the designer of these cars was a coke-head.

truly a collector's item, though. it should be a fun project. just don't get frustrated. it is an ass-backwards design.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
1stCarAly22
AF Newbie

Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler
Hey hows it going? Welcome.

Mine gets about 20 mpg. I think I remember seeing an old Delorean window sticker online that listed it as 19mpg street/21mpg highway but don't quote me on that one.

you should check out Delorean.com if you haven't already, they sell all the parts and have good diagrams pictures.
Thanks for saying hello/for the suggestion (Delorean.com)! I'll have to go there. 20mpg... well, I guess it's what I expected. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
1stCarAly22
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimefury

a delorean isn't a good car to learn on. even seasoned mechanics have trouble with them.
it is a known fact that the designer of these cars was a coke-head.
Haha, SOMEBODY'S a little pessimistic! I'm not worried about it. I don't expect it to be an easy job, and I'll have TONS of help. Thank you for considering me, though! I really appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
1stCarAly22
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-OS
I think we might have one of those around the house somewhere. My dad is an Electrical Engineer and used to own a garage - so I'm hoping the two of those will aide me in some way. Not to mention, I'm working with a local technical institute (as I stated before). So, hopefully, between my dad and the folks over there I'll have plenty of assistance. I'm trying to remain positive - my grade on the project determines whether or not a graduate... So wish me luck. You guys are making it sound like I'm going to need it! haha.Thanks for the reply. Have a great day!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Your welcome.

Make sure to check out This Site as well. It's a pretty active Delorean forum.

I have heard of other Delorean owners getting better gas milage after doing some modifications.

Last edited by timetraveler; 12-10-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Re: Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
it is a known fact that the designer of these cars was a coke-head
Really?
DMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC12
Really?
yes, really.
you don't get busted for trying to import $1.8 million in coke without ever doing it.
http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id305.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_De_Lorean
http://ask.yahoo.com/20010927.html

now, this i didn't know, apparently he died just this year.....now i feel bad for picking on a dead guy.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/20/obit.delorean/

DMC12, don't be mad . . . i didn't say they were bad cars, just different, very different. if someone said to me that the designer of the datsun z cars was a heroin addict (he wasn't BTW), it wouldn't change my mind about the car. both are still beautiful, classic auto designs, despite any personal flaws that the designers might have had (everyone has them).

it was just a joke, lighten-up.

Last edited by dimefury; 12-20-2005 at 03:35 PM.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
1stCarAly22
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie = Me!

Quote:
DMC12, don't be mad . . . i didn't say they were bad cars, just different, very different. if someone said to me that the designer of the datsun z cars was a heroin addict (he wasn't BTW), it wouldn't change my mind about the car. both are still beautiful, classic auto designs, despite any personal flaws that the designers might have had (everyone has them).

it was just a joke, lighten-up.

Ahhhh Don't fight! Haha, yeah I actually knew DeLorean was a coke-head. But, I mean, good thing he was. What would Doc have ever done without the DeLorean??
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #12
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Actually, coke-head would imply he actually used coke. He was never accused of using it, just selling it. Whether or not you believe he intended to sell it or was framed is another story. For the record, he was acquitted of all charges and never spent any prison time. Also, for those who believe urban legends, no cocaine was ever smuggled in hidden compartments of Delorean cars.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion