Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > What do you want to know?
What do you want to know? Staff writers check this area regurarly for future article topics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
chadis86
AF Newbie

Question Looking for Knowledge on Hand Clutch

Looking for Knowledge on Hand Operated Clutch systems for an Automotive performance application.
Any Info Welcome. . Thank You
chadis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Looking for Knowledge on Hand Clutch

I have installed countless sets of these... fantastic product, great design, extremely durable. http://mps-handcontrols.com/ Click on "Products" then "Hand controls" then "Brake Only". The brake only unit can be installed to operate the clutch. It can be set up for left or right hand operation.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
chadis86
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Looking for Knowledge on Hand Clutch

m interested in remotely controlling a manual transmission clutch by hand while retaining full clutch pedal use. Don't ask why. I just want to do it. ;-)

The ideal configuration would have a button or lever on the shifter knob that allowed the clutch to be gradually engaged. Squeezing the lever would disengage the clutch. Releasing it would engage the clutch. It would provide the exact same function as the clutch pedal but would require very little physical effort.

A purely mechanical solution is out of the question because of the force needed to disengage a clutch by hand. Also, I don't want any bulky cables and large levers attached to the shifter knob.

I envision a shifter knob with a trigger, some electronics for controlling an actuator, and an actuator which controls some part of the clutch pedal linkage. Simple, right? ;-)

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? I know there are commercial solutions available for handicapped people but they are a bit expensive and not quite what I am looking for.

I'm stumped on what to use for an actuator and what kind of electronics I would need to control it. I'm also stumped on which part of the clutch pedal linkage the actuator would work best on (i.e. pedal, hydraulics, release fork lever, etc.)

Thanks for the help.
chadis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Looking for Knowledge on Hand Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadis86 View Post
Don't ask why. I just want to do it. ;-)
Is this to perform smokey burnouts with a manual trans?

You may be able to make a device using a vacuum cannister and a control rod.
Intake manifold vacuum could be used to hold the clutch down.
You could use 2 electricly actuated vaccum control valves from any old car's ventilation system and actuate it through a switch placed on the shift lever.

So, when installed, you would flip one switch. A valve would open, allowing intake manifold vacuum to enter the vacuum can and pull the clutch pedal down.
Then, to release the clutch, you would release that switch and flip another, which would actuate a valve and slowly bleed-off the vacuum, allowing the clutch pedal to come up.
Cool, right?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > What do you want to know?