Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #46
dgee
AF Regular

Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

if it is your computer there is a guy on ebay that rebuilds them for 50.00 ubder ebay motor car truck parts tracker electrical components trackerrus
dgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #47
dgee
AF Regular

i found a problem with my tracker the FI fuse look like it was tight in the fuse panal but the clips holding the fuse in were loose cutting on and off the fuel pump.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #48
coopdavillage
AF Regular

i hate to suggest it but maybe you should take it to a chevy dealer that might be your best bet
coopdavillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #49
dgee
AF Regular

have you gotten anywhere with the problem yet.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #50
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

no, just been dealing with it, dont really know what else to do anymore, just not looking forward to dealing with it once winter comes, that is going to be bad.
94twacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #51
coopdavillage
AF Regular

sorry we couldnt help
Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #52
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

hey dont worry about it man, nobody has been able to, I really appreciate everybody trying to help me.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #53
t-max
AF Newbie

Does this vehicle have a "crank position sensor"? A bad crank position sensor may cause the problems you describe.

cheers,
t-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #54
rphiln622
AF Newbie

violent shaking at 2000-2500 rpm

I have a tbi 94 geo tracker that started with the same problem as yours but now it got so bad it will only idle below 800rpm. I am a Maintenance mechanic Manager for a plastics manufacturer. I was not impressed with the dealers I can't check it bull so this is what I did.
got the chilton manual.
The oxygen sensor is not suppose to be able to kill the engine the book says. The computer operates on a 5 volt dc system.
checked the map sensor 5 volts in from computer. proper volts through sensor and I even fed 0 to 5 volts back with a power supply.
checked the throttle position sensor. 5 volts in from computer 0 to 5 volts back to computer through range of pushing throttle lever.
I then put a volt meter on the throttle body injector to check for 0 to 5 volts from the computer to open a little or a lot of gas into the intake.
THIS WAS THE PROBLEM! THE COMPUTER WAS NOT OPENING THE INJECTOR WITH 1.2 VOLTS AT IDLE OR 4.5 VOLTS AT FULL THROTTLE!
IT WAS ONLY PUTTING OUT .8 VOLTS AND BARELY KEEPING IT IDLEING AT 500 RPM.
I found many references on the internet of the computers going bad on these models early!
All the dam dealer has to do is hook up a cheep voltmeter to the throttle body injector or each of the multi port ones and check for 0 to 5 volts as you push on the gas pedtal. I don't think your money should have been spent to train thier factory trained mechanics so ask for it back or go to small claims court the judge will agree don't build something you can't troubleshoot.
The circuit board guys say leaky capacitor acid corrodes the board and makes the ecm computer erratic and fail.only some can be repaired. time and heat are the enemy.This makes me wary of used parts.Low milage vehicle ok? 1700 DOLLARS CANDIAN FOR NEW ECM. Anyway I will buy a whole spare car or wire in a compatable unit from something else. Used computers range rom 200 us. Leave yours hanging and go buy it and put it in to try it first.You might get a electronic repair before its to late. Good luck.
rphiln622 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rphiln622 For This Useful Post:
Kenny B. (01-01-2016)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #55
coopdavillage
AF Regular

yeah its seems to me that the ecm's go bad in geos and chevy's except apparently the '95 which makes me happy because thats what i have my wife however has a 98 metro and i am almost certain that her ecm has gone bad but it cost 2800 from the dealer and 1700 new after market but luckily i can get one for 250 used. hope the last post helps you fix your problem.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM   #56
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

very wierd update for you guys, it has still continued to have the same problem, so we have just been living with it and kind of getting around it by avoiding those rpm's as much as we can. Well this morning my girlfriend gets in to go to work, and within a couple of minutes the temp guage is pegged to H in the redzone, so she shut it off, waited a couple of minutes, started it up and it remained there, so she limped it home and took her moms car to work. Well I go up to her house tonight, change the thermostat, check oil and coolant out, the SECOND we started it the guage was to H, but the engine was ice cold it sat for house, so now I know its not the thermostat, something may be wrong with the temp sending unit. Well on the way to my house while driving, it was bucking alot worse then usual, and you could watch the temp guage go up and down as it did it, almost like the more the guage moved, the worse the car acted, but sometimes the guage would move without the car acting up. What I am wondering is,, is it possible that the temp sending unit for the guage is screwed up, and has been this whole time, but now is just finally going completely, and that maybe this sensor is also the one that tells the computer how hot the engine is, which helps the computer to adjust air and fuel and such, I know the coolant temperature sensor usually does this, but there is also a temperature switch listed for this vehicle, which means that there is both of them on here, but I dont know why becuase usually coolant temp sensors control electric fans in cars, so each one of these sensors in the tracker must have their own job. Is there anyway that the guage problem and the bucking can be related because of one sensor? The bucking was really bad tonight compared to usual, and like I said it was the worse when the guage was jumping . Please help, only other thing I can think of is that the computer has been on its way out this whole time and now is starting to show other symptoms, but I hope thats not it ....
Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #57
rphiln622
AF Newbie

Hi all,
I am still troubleshooting my problem with my 94 geo tracker. I have hooked up a scopemeter and I got some very erratic voltages to the throttle body. I am trying to find a used cheap vehicle that runs for a spare. Until then I am systematically checking the wiring harness and the engine grounding and all the inputs and outputs from the computer.(its only my spare vehicle) But I won't quit until I solve the mystery (or is it Misery?)and post it on this site!!!!!!!! By the way my compresion,fuel pressure, vacumn, timing and spark are all great.
rphiln622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #58
dgee
AF Regular

all that stuff is computer related
Old 12-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #59
dgee
AF Regular

if it is your computer email jackiegeorge@peoplepc.com he rebuild them for 50.00 plus shipping.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

well, after the recent problems with the temp guage and such, we took it back to the mechanic that told us to bring it back if it starts getting worse. It got worse, alot worse. The bucking was awful and uncontrolable. Well, he looked at it and said that he got a wiring diagram for it and got under the dash and unplugged and plugged back in a couple of plugs and it seemed to fix the problem. Well, so far so good, and it has been a few days now. It hasnt bucked at all, the temp guage hasnt acted up, and all is good. All except ever since we took off the tps and tested it its acting up a little, as soon as you let off the gas while driving it starts slowing down real quick, I think it may just need to be adjusted properly, or replaced. Either was I am just thrilled this seems to be fixed, it has been a LONG time now. So to anyone else having simular problems, try something really easy and just get under the dash and unplug and plug some plugs in, one may be slightly loose or dirty, you never know but it has seemed to solve a problem that has been very bad and serious for some time now, so it cant hurt to try!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker