Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
DOCQUINO
AF Newbie

AF Suzuki Katana Multiple WIP Thread

EDITED:
News at the moment:
1.-Open to every forum members, at the moment confirmed:
docquino,
depinho,
CrateCruncher,
ales,
gionc,
rallymaster,
cinqster,
4beenevil,
pippin1974,
nakturk,
and not closed, everyone can join at any moment.
2.- Open to all Katana models, every maker or every scale, with no building or paint limits or rules.
3.- Its intended to be a long term wip, so take it slow and join when you want, we´ll try to do a very long wip.
I haven´t ordered mine, but go on holiday in a week until 3 september, I´ll star posting work in september, but the post is oficcially opened, so you can start yet.
MAIN RULE: NO RULES, NO LIMITS, dont be shy, and take your time.
Will be edited and added the new joiners.

I recently finished a Gunze BSA with a lot of headache, and in my desk there are a Guzzi centauro and a 916, both yellow, and next to be finished. I would like to do something differente, a multiple WIP perhaps? I´ve seen in the automotive section a WIP called Cayman series. We could do something similar, the same model with each one style, colour scheme...We could make a poll to choose the bike (street, please, modern or old, dont mind).

I have the following in my shelf but dont mind to buy another one if polls need.
  1. Honda VT 250F Academy.
  2. Honda CB750 F Imai.
  3. Suzuki GSX 750 new Katana Tamiya.
  4. Gunze´s Indian 1941.
  5. Gunze´s Rikuo.
  6. Gunze´s Kawa WIS 650.
  7. Gunze´s BMW R69.
  8. Honda CX 500 Turbo Tamiya.
  9. Honda VF 750 F Tamiya.
  10. Harley Fat Bob Imai.
  11. Ninja ZX 12 R Tamiya.
  12. Honda VFR 750 R (RC30) Tamiya.
  13. Kawasaki GPZ 500 tuning Aoshima.
  14. Krauser MKM 1000 IMAI.
  15. Duke MHR Tamiya (to be converted into...).
  16. Yamaha SRX 600 Tamiya (was to be converted into and old fashioned tube chrome frame and rims).
  17. Ducati 900 SS Tamiya (was to be converted into a 750 ss).
  18. BMW K100 Tamiya (to be converted into a K100 RS).
  19. Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Revell.
  20. CB 400 N Aoshima.
I´ll go tomorrow on a 15 days trip, but i´ll like to know if is of your interest, so we could be starting in a month or two, once decided.
Please

Last edited by DOCQUINO; 10-03-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: New members added to wip.
DOCQUINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
stu_davros
AF Newbie

Re: Multiple WIP? Someone interested?

I'd like to see a build of the Gunze 1941 Indian, nice bike but not sure how good the kit is>
stu_davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
depinho
AF Newbie

I think this is a great idea. I would like to participate but i have only
race motorcycles in my shelf. Here, in Brazil, is hard to get the motorcycles kits.

But, your idea is build street motorcycles only with different paint schemas, without the sponsors or with the sponsors ?

If I can, I will participate. Maybe the better is choice a kit easily of the find, then we can to buy if necessary.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I'd be interested in doing the Tamiya Ducati 900SS in a '74 "green frame". I've been putting off doing that one for years. I think the kit was recently reissued so it's reasonably common. One Gunze Indian was enough for me this lifetime but I'd be up for just about any other Gunze HT. The Kawa or BMW would be fun. The Rikuo is a BIG project.

On the other hand, the Indian, Rikuo and Harley would probably allow the most leeway in customizing... One not on your list is the Tamiya GSX 1100S Katana. That one could also be customized quite a bit and is common as weeds.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
DOCQUINO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher View Post
I'd be interested in doing the Tamiya Ducati 900SS in a '74 "green frame". I've been putting off doing that one for years. I think the kit was recently reissued so it's reasonably common. One Gunze Indian was enough for me this lifetime but I'd be up for just about any other Gunze HT. The Kawa or BMW would be fun. The Rikuo is a BIG project.

On the other hand, the Indian, Rikuo and Harley would probably allow the most leeway in customizing... One not on your list is the Tamiya GSX 1100S Katana. That one could also be customized quite a bit and is common as weeds.
I have also a 900 ss built (many years ago) and one waiting, it was destined to be in the future a yellow 750 s but a 900 ss green frame is a good idea too, I love this bike (I recently bougth 0,3 wire for wire wheels...). I have a built katana but have been planning to do a new one also.
I see that we have the exact prefernces in bikes (I think real and miniature ones). My real ones are a 2004 all black bonneville 800 and a ´87 piaggio vespa 200 to be restored.
On the other hand are the gunzes ones... Your choice, or perhaps we wait someone more oppinion to join?.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I started test-fitting a Honda CR-110 by Gunze Sangyo a while back. It would be a fast build (I'll eat those words...) if anyone has one laying around they'd like to build. It was kitted in the fairing version called the RC-110 and the version with no fairing I'm building.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
ales
Forza Schumacher

Guys, may I suggest selecting a kit that is readily available for purchase?

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
DOCQUINO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales View Post
Guys, may I suggest selecting a kit that is readily available for purchase?
Of course, I would like one of the suggested, but its yet open to all kits and oll of you.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Suzuki 1100 Katana. The full scale bikes have been the base for a lot of really wild customizations over the years giving it a kind of hot-rod reputation. Also, there are thousands of the Tamiya kits floating around and one can do alot with them.

Osamu Kunihiro (kunta) has made this kit his own with some spectacular custom builds right here on AF. Here's one:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=883474

It was issued by Tamiya in two forms: Factory stock and Custom Tuned with an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust etc. As kunta has shown, you can do a lot with them and the kits are as cheap as they come.

Anybody else have a kit to suggest???
Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
ales
Forza Schumacher

I like the Katana idea. the kit is easy enough to purchase for those who don't have it (like me) and seems simple yet detailed enough for someone who's yet to build a 1/12 bike (like me). I'd be interested in trying to build one and a group build seems as good an excuse as any.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
DOCQUINO
AF Newbie

Katana´s winning at the moment, I suggest that everyone could join, with or without modiffications, stock, scrath or major conversion, no limits. I hope this will not be the last muliple WIP we can do.
This coul be a long period (all of mine are so) combining with everyone´s other projects, so people could join even if the rest started. The longest WIP ever.
I forgot to say that I must buy one, having dozens of kits I have not a katana. Bids will be increasing on ebay..... He,he..
(next duke 900-750 ss or every possible combination of classic tamiya dukes-MHR-NCR-SS?????????)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
DOCQUINO
AF Newbie

Forgotten question: Open to 4 tamiya kits: 1100, 1100 tuned, 750 and 750 new katana?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
ales
Forza Schumacher

Hope so!

I've just ordered a Tamiya 14010 1/12 SUZUKI GSX1100S Katana kit and should this theme be selected, I have a few ideas what mine should end up looking like.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Mmmmm, interesting..... I'm a kinda lover of shared threads , but mainly I built my first and only Katana I guess 30 years ago or so.... time to do one decent... If I get the kit, I'm in! I would like the idea of a Katana cafè racer.... we'll see..
Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like this thread is growing legs. A Cafe' racer would look very cool Gio. I'm debating whether to go for a GP look or stretch the wheelbase for a low dragster thing. Then there are the color choices....

BTW, I think any Katana should be eligible, including the 750 New Katana or the 1/8th, even the 1/6th scale if you can find one. I built the 1/6th about ten years ago and it went together great and looked real despite my rusty skills at the time. It was a very hassle-free build. They show up on feeBay now and then.

For anyone undecided, I'd recommend the Tamiya 1/12 GSX1100S "Custom Tuned" version (#14065). For about $20 US, it has all the #14010 kit plus an additional sprue of parts including: aftermarket shocks, forks, brakes, oil cooler, and a V&H 4into1 exhaust pipe. Even if you don't use them on this build the parts would be nice to have. Many LHS's (local hobby shops) keep #14065 in stock. I've even seen them at places like Walmart and Hobby Lobby here in the US.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes