Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
ace66660
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ace66660
Timing belt went then the valve bent?

Where I can get parts to rebuild the engine of a 2001 4cyl? I have called every parts place in the town where I live and noone can get parts. We have an Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Car Quest, Napa, and a couple smaller parts places. Is this something that I have to contact a dealership to get the parts?
This is a short version of what happened. Was going down HWY and as I was exiting I looked at the RMP's and it was at zero. After that the engine was toast. After hooking it to a computer to find out what was going on it threw a code for the crank shaft position sensor. After getting the part and tearing the car down, further inspection showed that it was the timing belt. After replacing the timing AND balance shaft belts the car still wouldn't start. Would we still need to replace the position sensor as well? Then we inspected the valves and position 1 was toast.
Just hoping that someone has some ideas that I can tap into.
Thanks
Gretchen
ace66660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999
Re: Timing belt went then the valve bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace66660
Where I can get parts to rebuild the engine of a 2001 4cyl? I have called every parts place in the town where I live and noone can get parts. We have an Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Car Quest, Napa, and a couple smaller parts places. Is this something that I have to contact a dealership to get the parts?
This is a short version of what happened. Was going down HWY and as I was exiting I looked at the RMP's and it was at zero. After that the engine was toast. After hooking it to a computer to find out what was going on it threw a code for the crank shaft position sensor. After getting the part and tearing the car down, further inspection showed that it was the timing belt. After replacing the timing AND balance shaft belts the car still wouldn't start. Would we still need to replace the position sensor as well? Then we inspected the valves and position 1 was toast.
Just hoping that someone has some ideas that I can tap into.
Thanks
Gretchen
Dealer will probably be your best bet. If you have a bent valve, I would recommend taking it to a machine shop and let them go through the head and see what else they can find. They might also be able to get you some parts that you might need. The machine shop that I send the heads out to from our dealership doesn't trust his aftermarket suppliers for the Hyundai parts, so he gets them from us if they need anything. Get me a list of everything you want, and see what kind of price I can work up for you.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
ace66660
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ace66660
Re: Re: Timing belt went then the valve bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsonoma1999
Dealer will probably be your best bet. If you have a bent valve, I would recommend taking it to a machine shop and let them go through the head and see what else they can find. They might also be able to get you some parts that you might need. The machine shop that I send the heads out to from our dealership doesn't trust his aftermarket suppliers for the Hyundai parts, so he gets them from us if they need anything. Get me a list of everything you want, and see what kind of price I can work up for you.
Thanks John for your response. I was hoping that it would be you that responded because of where you work. May I ask another question? A friend of mine stopped by before I had the chance to get the mechanic over and as he was working on it he sprayed Either into it to try to get it started. It fired once, after a lot of tries, then after that the motor was toast. Can you find out wether or not this would have been the fatal blow or would it be totally from the timing belt problem. Keep in mind that the belt did not break, it just lost a lot of "Teeth", if you will. There were several spots around the belt that were about 3 to 4 teeth wide missing.
I am looking into the Lansing Community College Mechanic's class to see if this is a project that the professor would be interested in tackling. If this works I will probably contact you about the parts. I am disatisfied with the dealership that we have in the Lansing area and would rather get them elsewhere if it is possible.
Thanks so much for your help.
Gretchen
ace66660 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata